Audio out vs. Pre out for Zone 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When it comes to hooking up a multi-room amp to Zone 2, what is the difference between using a R/L Audio Out vs. a Pre Out? Does one have an advantage over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You are talking about connecting a multi-room amp to an AVR, yes?

Zone 2 output on a receiver is often times not volume-controlled by the receiver (and if it is, it will have a volume control that is separate from the main volume control). This is probably ideal if you have a multi-room amp, since you presumably have volume controls for each room. A typical pre-out from a receiver will have be connected to the volume control.

Some receivers will allow for difference concurrent sources being accessed by the respective zones. Primary listening area could be watching TV while zone 2 is listening to a CD (or something). There could also be restrictions on which sources are available for output to the second zone.

I may be missing the mark. Your question was a little vague now that I'm re-reading it. Maybe spell out what you are trying to do and list the equipment you are using.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I understand that one is volumed controlled before the signal leaves the receiver (pre out) and one is controlled after (line out). I'm questioning whether or not that is the only difference. A receiver that has a line out compared to one with a pre out is essentially doing the same thing -- allowing you to send audio to another device, correct? The reason I ask is that I am deciding between the Denon 2113 and the 2313. The 2113 has a standard Zone 2 audio out, while the 2313 has a Zone 2 pre out. If I can get away with the cheaper 2113 and that model's audio out then that's what i'll go with.