Microphone with denon 3311 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my two little kids have started going for music lessons.

So I was planning to buy them a vocal microphone and connect to my denon avr 3311 to amplify the sound so that they can do some practice at home...The mic I was looking for was shure sm58. Will that work for my intended set up?? Esp i want to confirm if that mic can be hooked on to 3311 and can be selected as an imput source?..

Elsewhere in the forum I found some karaoke system when connected to 3311 has significant lag when connected to this amp. But he was sending the signal to one of the RCA inputs... I don't want to take that route which already has known issues.

Any help / suggestion greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Take a look at the microphone's output
http://55d5340a043a828856e1-f62de27af599bb6703e11b472beadbcc.r28.cf2.rackcdn.com/specification_sheet/upload/82/us_pro_sm58_specsheet.pdf
Compared with the AVR's input sensitivity (page 117)
http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR-3311CI-OM-E_006.pdf

Note that the mic puts out about 1.85mV while the AVR is looking for 200mV... you needs a mixer in between to amplify the mic signal to match the AVR's input sensitivity. And mic cables to the mixer... the mixer will provide the 200mV level signal via RCA jacks you can bring in like any other source. I use a Behringer Xenyx 802, but I need phantom power for the mic I use (your Shure doesn't need it).

Have fun,
Frank
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks fbov. Hmmm it's more co pimentos than I thought I have to manage...

Since I am completely new on this... May I know is there any constant fiddling required. I want to give this set up to my wife ad kids... Will it be easy for sme with no knowledge of fattest/ audio equipment a to work on??
Thanks again...
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
If you can hook up an AVR, you can hook up a mixer. You have a master volume, then controls on each mic channel that make sense when you read the manual. Mic cable inputs are XLR or 1/4" phono jacks, output by RCA jack, so you'll need these interface cables, but little more. My mixer is likely overkill, but their lesser models might work for you (Xenyx 302, 502), just be careful of USB power if you won't be connecting to a PC.

HAve fun,
Frank
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

If you can hook up an AVR, you can hook up a mixer. You have a master volume, then controls on each mic channel that make sense when you read the manual. Mic cable inputs are XLR or 1/4" phono jacks, output by RCA jack, so you'll need these interface cables, but little more. My mixer is likely overkill, but their lesser models might work for you (Xenyx 302, 502), just be careful of USB power if you won't be connecting to a PC.

HAve fun,
Frank

Usually, the outputs of a Mic mixer are XLR or 1/4" phone jacks, so you'll need a cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CPR203-Dual-Inch/dp/B000068O18/ref=sr_1_4

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/PPRC-X05-Professional-Audio-Cable-Female/dp/B000V1RLI2

Most mixers have RCA inputs, FWIW.

I'd recommend one of the small Behringer Xenix series:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_cc_3

Kind of an interesting thing. There are RCA jacks marked "Output" on the lower front panel but those are designed for tape recording.

The main outputs of this mixer are the 2 1/4" jacks in a column on the top row, right. They are controlled by the "Main Mix" gain control knob of the mixer.

Usually the main output level control doesn't affect the tape outputs.

Of course you have a perfectly good level control on the AVR. Do what you prefer - they both might work, only differently.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks arnyk.. That's very informative. I have looked around here in Singapore for mixers and seems to be quite big and complex and expensive. cheapest so far I found is 150 sgd eek.gif (110 usd). I would prefer the one on your post or something of that size and price range. I will see if there are any dealer for that brand here in sg.

Another thing I would prefer is to use wireless mic as kids / wife may not like the dangling wires. If that has to be done do I need more equipment? Like a wireless receiver or something between the mic and mixer? Sorry for asking very basic and silly question. But I really appreciate your time and help.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudians View Post

Thanks arnyk.. That's very informative. I have looked around here in Singapore for mixers and seems to be quite big and complex and expensive. cheapest so far I found is 150 sgd eek.gif (110 usd). I would prefer the one on your post or something of that size and price range. I will see if there are any dealer for that brand here in sg.

Another thing I would prefer is to use wireless mic as kids / wife may not like the dangling wires. If that has to be done do I need more equipment? Like a wireless receiver or something between the mic and mixer? Sorry for asking very basic and silly question. But I really appreciate your time and help.

Wireless mics generally come as a set that includes a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter is either integrated into a mic, or is a cigarette-pack-sized package that you plug regular mics or other sources into. Good stuff includes the Audio Technica 3000 series. If you want quality and reliability you want UHF operation and diversity reception.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again arnyk... Checked out that mic. Seems out of my range/ budget. Is ther any decent quality wireless mics for home use with kids around 100 usd range!!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page