Onkyo 818 receiver - stereo channel - low front speaker output - suggestions?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I am a proud owner of a new Onkyo 818 receiver. So far i love it, for how the TV sounds going through 5.1 and Movies!

What i am noticing though when i play music, i like to just set it for 2 channel (so i have just the front loud speakers and my sub-woofer going). When i set it to 2 channel, i have been noticing the output for the two front speakers are pretty low, considering the volumne level.

NOW i do have some power hungry Polk Audio RTI10's for the Front Speakers. Right now i cant afford an external 2 channel amp to drive these two front speakers separately. (unlike you can point to a link for a really good deal like $200 or less LOL.

Any Suggestions on what settings i can change to make the two front speakers louder when setting it to 2 Channel????

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Are you selecting 'stereo' mode? 'Pure' and 'Direct' bypass the subwoofer.

Have you run Audyssey? If not, you need to do that to set all your speaker levels.

If you have done all of the above and switch from a 5.1/7.1 listening mode to 2 channel, I would expect it to be lower.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM1978 View Post

Hi folks,

I am a proud owner of a new Onkyo 818 receiver. So far i love it, for how the TV sounds going through 5.1 and Movies!

What i am noticing though when i play music, i like to just set it for 2 channel (so i have just the front loud speakers and my sub-woofer going). When i set it to 2 channel, i have been noticing the output for the two front speakers are pretty low, considering the volumne level.

NOW i do have some power hungry Polk Audio RTI10's for the Front Speakers. Right now i cant afford an external 2 channel amp to drive these two front speakers separately. (unlike you can point to a link for a really good deal like $200 or less LOL.

Any Suggestions on what settings i can change to make the two front speakers louder when setting it to 2 Channel????

Thanks for your help!

Jeremy

Why not just turn it up? If you're new to having a receiver built within the past few years, you may not be aware that volume controls don't quite work the same way they did in the old days, and you need to crank it pretty high in order to get to the power levels of which the receiver is capable. Unless that is, your statement "considering the volume level" means "I have it turned up to 0dB and it sounds anemic", in which case yes, you might need more amplification. If your speakers are very low in sensitivity this could be the case I suppose, but I just looked up yours and at 89dB I don't think that's the issue at all.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page