New System Set-Up Denon AVR-1913 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a home theater novice and recently upgraded my 2 speaker bookshelf system with sub to the compenents stated below and have many questions regarding optimal set-up.

Samsung 46" LN45A650A1F
Denon - AVR 1913
Klipsch RF-42 II Floor Standing Speakers
Klipsch RC-42 II Center Channel Speaker
Subwoofer (I beleive 10" although I need to confirm size and brand when I get home)
Direct TV DVR Receiver
Sony BDP-S590 Blue Ray Player

1. I currently have the Direct TV Box and Blue Ray Player connected to the AVR via HDMI and have the HDMI out from the AVR connected to the TV. Note that my TV does not have ARC technology which I do not think is a big deal since the Direct TV signal is connect directly to the AVR and then feed to the TV. Based on this is there any purpose to running an optical cable from the TV to AVR as indictaed in the Denon AVR manual?

2. I would like to leverage the HDMI controls to POWER ON my AVR when the TV is turn ON. Right now I can get the HDMI controls to turn the AVR OFF when the TV is turned OFF, hower the AVR does not power back ON when the TV is turn ON. What setting changes if any need to be made to the AVR or TV to get the power ON control to work?

3. My set-up is basically 3.1. What Amp set-up should I use when setting up the speaker configuration on the AVR? Right now the AVR is defaulting to "Zone 2" Amp setting. Should I consider the "Bi-Amp" setting considering the tower speakers listed above?

4. I would like to be able to play music via Airplay/Network connection but also be able to watch TV(no audio) at the same time. Is this possible and if so how would I achieve this?

5. I have the "Standby bypass" active for the Direct TV input. Seems to work fine initially but fails to carry the signal once I shut everything down and then power back up (with AVR remaining in Standby). Since I am having touble with the HDMI controls as stated in #2 I need this function to work so my wife is able to watch TV without me there.

That's it. For now smile.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmike View Post

I am a home theater novice and recently upgraded my 2 speaker bookshelf system with sub to the compenents stated below and have many questions regarding optimal set-up.

Samsung 46" LN45A650A1F
Denon - AVR 1913
Klipsch RF-42 II Floor Standing Speakers
Klipsch RC-42 II Center Channel Speaker
Subwoofer (I beleive 10" although I need to confirm size and brand when I get home)
Direct TV DVR Receiver
Sony BDP-S590 Blue Ray Player

1. I currently have the Direct TV Box and Blue Ray Player connected to the AVR via HDMI and have the HDMI out from the AVR connected to the TV. Note that my TV does not have ARC technology which I do not think is a big deal since the Direct TV signal is connect directly to the AVR and then feed to the TV. Based on this is there any purpose to running an optical cable from the TV to AVR as indictaed in the Denon AVR manual?

No. The AVR can extract audio from the HDMI sources.
Quote:
3. My set-up is basically 3.1. What Amp set-up should I use when setting up the speaker configuration on the AVR? Right now the AVR is defaulting to "Zone 2" Amp setting. Should I consider the "Bi-Amp" setting considering the tower speakers listed above?

Bi-amp setting is not for you. If the AVR works well for you now, leave well enough alone.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding item #5 I determined that the Standby Bypass works just fine for my Direct TV connection when I disable HDMI controls on my TV. When I reactivate HDMI controls on the TV and power off the AVR the bypass signal is carried for a few seconds but then drops out.

I tried another HDMI input on the TV button the problem remains. I would like to enable HDMI control on the TV to have the TV remote control the AVR volume when the AVR is on. Is there anything else I can try to fix this issue or is it just a matter of my Samsung LCD not playing nice with my AVR?

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 PM

I would just get a logitech remote. You can find the 650 for about $75, and the wife should be able to run everything just fine. I just got the 1913 after Xmas and love it. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 166
+1 on the logitech. And do go to batpig's site to see how to get some codes that may not be in the standard Denon set (my receiver is several years old, and it was through Batpig, not Denon or Logitech directly, that I got the ability to independently set Dynamic Volume "strength" from my remote).

Otherwise, you just select the thing you want to do (watch TV, watch bluray) and push a button and everything comes on, set correctly. If something goes wrong, the help button walks you through painlessly getting everything right in 30 seconds or so. I'd brag that it was cake for my kids to learn, but they are more tech savvy than me. My not quite tech-hating wife finds it entirely manageable to run multiple device through the receiver, TV off or on as appropriate, all from the Harmony. And I got a cheaper one . . .
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the feedback so far. I have come a long way since first posting.

Does anyone have insight into question #4:

4. I would like to be able to play music via Airplay/Network connection but also be able to watch TV(no audio) at the same time. Is this possible and if so how would I achieve this?

I am thinking I will need to leverage main zone / zone 2 to get this done.

Thanks!

Mike

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver