Would like help from the pro's on getting more sound from front speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am putting in my first surround sound system and ran into a little trouble. would love some help from the experts on this board.

I hooked up my center and front speakers to my receiver and all the voices and sound are coming from the center channel. only ambient background noise comes out of the front floor speakers. I'm wondering what i need to do to get more powerful sound from the front speakers (After all they have 3 mid and one sub in each of them but barely seem to be utilizing this). I've tried swapping out the receiver with a pioneer and even a different front speaker (tried an in-wall) and still only ambient noise so I'm pretty sure its something i'm doing wrong.

Do i need to do something with Bi-amp on the front speaker? any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to get that powerful sound that i hear in the demo media rooms and right now i just have a power center speaker! Thanks!

My setup includes:
Onkyo RC460 Receiver 7.2
Polk TSI400 Floor speakers
Polk RC65i rear in wall speakers
Polk CSR center
Polk PSW10 sub
16 guage RCA wire with Sewell banana plugs

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
If you put your receiver in Stereo mode, do you get full sound out of the mains?

post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Lots of questions...
- have you run Audyssey yet? What does it say about speaker levels?
- You only have LCR connected?
- what's the program?
- what's the display say about AVR modes and program content?

When all is set right, a mono program comes out of the CC only. The front display should tell you which of the many modes is active, as well as what kind of signal it's receiving. "Pure Audio" and "Stereo" will only power the L/R speakers. "Mono" is all CC while "all channel stereo" is all but the CC.

Going into the AVR menus, you should find tables with speaker distance and levels as measured by Audyssey. How does your CC level setting compare with the L/R speakers? I'll wager the CC is set higher than the L/R because it's a smaller, less sensitive speaker, and Audyssey is trying to make all speakers equal. TSI400's at 91dB will be muted to match your CSR at 84dB.

You really need a bigger CC... like Polk's CS20, a good match to the towers. It won't change the relative sound levels - CC may still be louder - but it will match sensitivity, so you're no longer sending 4x the power to the littlest speaker!

HAve fun,
Frank
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsoundman View Post

Hello,

I am putting in my first surround sound system and ran into a little trouble. would love some help from the experts on this board.

I hooked up my center and front speakers to my receiver and all the voices and sound are coming from the center channel. only ambient background noise comes out of the front floor speakers. I'm wondering what i need to do to get more powerful sound from the front speakers (After all they have 3 mid and one sub in each of them but barely seem to be utilizing this). I've tried swapping out the receiver with a pioneer and even a different front speaker (tried an in-wall) and still only ambient noise so I'm pretty sure its something i'm doing wrong.

Do i need to do something with Bi-amp on the front speaker? any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to get that powerful sound that i hear in the demo media rooms and right now i just have a power center speaker! Thanks!

My setup includes:
Onkyo RC460 Receiver 7.2
Polk TSI400 Floor speakers
Polk RC65i rear in wall speakers
Polk CSR center
Polk PSW10 sub
16 guage RCA wire with Sewell banana plugs

Jon

Are you sure that you have the front left and right speakers hooked up to the receiver's front left and right channels? It sounds like you have your front speakers hooked up to the receiver's rear surround outputs.

Espo77
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Are you sure that you have the front left and right speakers hooked up to the receiver's front left and right channels? It sounds like you have your front speakers hooked up to the receiver's rear surround outputs.

Thus my question about Stereo mode wink.gif

post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Frank / Espo,

I haven't run Audyssey yet, will do that this evening and try to learn more about the terms you are using (sorry big newbie to this stuff but i will learn it!)
Yes I only have LCR connected. but will connect rear speakers this evening. I believe I have connected to the L R Front not the rear or front high speaker connections which is why i'm so perplexed that there is only background noise. maybe i do have them mixed up will have to check again.

Will give you guys an update after I try some things this evening. Thanks so much for your input and expertise.

Jon
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! running Audyssey helped a bunch in getting the sound set. I replaced the weak Polk PSW10 sub with a Velodyne VX11 which really helped on the bass side.

I did notice due to my bad placement of 5.1 outlets (both positioned back wall facing the front DOH! Rather than the side), the sound is not truly surround in the room from the RC65i in walls in the back (also this was one weak speaker). I think I need to look for non-flush mount rear speakers that I can angle down over the seating area to capture the surround sound effect. Any thoughts or ideas you guys have?

Thanks for all your help!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Move the surrounds to the side... per THX.com, "Place the SL & SR speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. "
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

You won't need rear surrounds to hear things behind you....

HAve fun,
Frank
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page