Sound dropping out when connected to computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I recently upgraded my television and have started using it once in a while as a monitor for my computer. Unfortunately I have been experiencing an issue that I cannot figure out. Normally, I have my blu-ray player hooked up to my tv via hdmi, and my tv hooked up to my Panasonic receiver via a coaxial cable, and everything works fine. When I want to hook up my computer to the tv, I simply remove the hdmi from the blu-ray player and plug it into the port located on my computer's graphics card. This is where the issue arises. Sometimes I'll be watching a movie/video or just listening to music, and the sound will drop out for about one second numerous times throughout the video. This issue does not occur when I use my television speakers (which suck), nor when I use the computer speakers, only when I use the Panasonic speakers. So of course I would normally assume there is something wrong with the receiver or the coaxial cable, but it never does this when I using the blu-ray player. Additionally, there will be sometimes when I have my computer hooked up and it will not do this at all, but most of the time it does. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? I would greatly appreciate any help and I would be more than happy to provide any additional information if needed.
Thanks, and sorry if this is not the right place to post this, please point me in the right direction if so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions or know of a more appropriate place for me to post this?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I read your post but didn't have much to say. The only thing that comes to mind is if your PC is doing more background operations some of the time, resulting in the drop-outs you hear. I get them when viewing OTA broadcasts from weak stations; diagnostics shows a low-but-non-zero error rate just before the drop-outs. Next time it happens, see what all the PC is doing...

HAve fun,
Frank
post #4 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! If what you say is true, does it make sense that the dropouts would only occur when the sound it coming through the receiver? I tested the issue with the tv speakers and with the computer speakers and it did not happen, but as soon as I switched back to the receiver it began again.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 14
Does your computer have any other audio output ? I use digital coaxial from my computer to my receiver. Maybe buy a cheap sound card for digital audio out.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have the Asus Xonar D1 card installed, but it doesn't have a coaxial output port. I thought about hooking my receiver directly to the computer, but I don't know how.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

I have the Asus Xonar D1 card installed, but it doesn't have a coaxial output port. I thought about hooking my receiver directly to the computer, but I don't know how.

Are you sure digital coaxial cable (RCA type) won't fit the SPDIF out ? I think that is the digital out.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

Hello, I recently upgraded my television and have started using it once in a while as a monitor for my computer. Unfortunately I have been experiencing an issue that I cannot figure out. Normally, I have my blu-ray player hooked up to my tv via hdmi, and my tv hooked up to my Panasonic receiver via a coaxial cable, and everything works fine. When I want to hook up my computer to the tv, I simply remove the hdmi from the blu-ray player and plug it into the port located on my computer's graphics card. This is where the issue arises. Sometimes I'll be watching a movie/video or just listening to music, and the sound will drop out for about one second numerous times throughout the video. This issue does not occur when I use my television speakers (which suck), nor when I use the computer speakers, only when I use the Panasonic speakers. So of course I would normally assume there is something wrong with the receiver or the coaxial cable, but it never does this when I using the blu-ray player. Additionally, there will be sometimes when I have my computer hooked up and it will not do this at all, but most of the time it does. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? I would greatly appreciate any help and I would be more than happy to provide any additional information if needed.
Thanks, and sorry if this is not the right place to post this, please point me in the right direction if so.

Audio drop-outs with computers are not the least bit unusual. This may be dependent on which features of the PC you are using.

If the analog outputs of the computer don't have drop outs, but start having dropouts when you start using your AVR to amplify the analog outputs of your computer, then it is possible that EMI from the AVR is impacting the computer, which would be a first in my experience because usually such problems start with the computer and go to the AVR.

Or, are you using the HDMI output of your computer to connect to your AVR. Not exactly clear from what you say.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Audio drop-outs with computers are not the least bit unusual. This may be dependent on which features of the PC you are using.

If the analog outputs of the computer don't have drop outs, but start having dropouts when you start using your AVR to amplify the analog outputs of your computer, then it is possible that EMI from the AVR is impacting the computer, which would be a first in my experience because usually such problems start with the computer and go to the AVR.

Or, are you using the HDMI output of your computer to connect to your AVR. Not exactly clear from what you say.
The HDMI cable goes from the computer to the TV, and the coaxial cable goes from the TV to the receiver. The sound plays fine when I use the built-in TV speakers, as well as when using the computer speakers, it is only when I use the receiver that problems arise.

Additionally, I had the computer hooked up to the TV/receiver yesterday and didn't have any problems. I noticed that in this particular instance I had plugged the HDMI cable in while the computer was already running (as opposed to right before turning it on), I'm going to try that out again and see if it works. It doesn't sound very logical but the whole issue itself doesn't sound logical either. Why would it work fine through my tv speakers but not the receiver?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page