Questions regarding adding and changing setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've followed this forum for a while now but now I need some help regarding what to do next with my current system. My current setup is as follows:

Pioneer VSX-1121K
Emotiva XPA-2
Polk RTIA12
Polk micropro3000

I'm pretty new to the audio game so please work with me a bit. I'm fairly tech/mathematics savvy but new to the whole how audio actually works thing. I've researched on my own but feel free to point me to some more reading material if it can help.

This system started out as a stereo setup for the main area of my house but now is being used for tv and movies as well. So now I'm looking to add a center and surround channels. I received a martin logan encore tf center from a family member but I haven't hooked it up as it is a 4 ohm and my receiver isn't rated for 4 ohm. I'm not sure if it would actually damage it as it would be the only speaker driven but I'd rather not risk it without further knowledge. I've been shopping around and I looked into the XPA-3 to drive the other channels as well as the martin logan motion fx as surrounds seeing as how I have the center already. However, I'm not sure how these would pair with my current polks.

The room the TV is in is only about 16x14x9. I realize the polks are pretty large for this space but I also use them in the main area of my house which is larger. (I can kind of just spin them out the door and move them like 3 feet) I'm looking for opinions on what would pair well with the polks and whether or not I should use the center I have. I wouldn't mind "upgrading" a bit with the center and surround and replacing the mains down the road. The center and the surrounds only have to fill the space on the TV area. I fairly certain I would like to get a 3 channel amp now and try to keep those two amps for some time. Any thoughts and experience is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 321
For starters, it is far more important that your center speaker match your mains than that it match your surounds. That doesn't mean the ML won't work, but a Polk center would be a much better bet.

My guess is that your AVR wouldn't choke on a single 4 ohm speaker. But you'd have to try it and see. In any event, buying a new amp to accommodate a center speaker that might not be a good match for your system anyway is really bass-ackwards.

If it were me, I'd sell the center and the Emotiva amp (you really don't need it) and put the proceeds toward a Polk center and surrounds, or else a whole new 5.1 system.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

For starters, it is far more important that your center speaker match your mains than that it match your surounds. That doesn't mean the ML won't work, but a Polk center would be a much better bet.

My guess is that your AVR wouldn't choke on a single 4 ohm speaker. But you'd have to try it and see. In any event, buying a new amp to accommodate a center speaker that might not be a good match for your system anyway is really bass-ackwards.

If it were me, I'd sell the center and the Emotiva amp (you really don't need it) and put the proceeds toward a Polk center and surrounds, or else a whole new 5.1 system.

I'm leaning towards just getting polk center and surrounds to match the mains. Would getting the 3 channel to power these benefit me in the future? Perhaps when I change the speakers and don't have to worry about amps? Or would the receiver be fine powering those 3 and just save the money?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Would getting the 3 channel to power these benefit me in the future? Perhaps when I change the speakers and don't have to worry about amps?
They ONLY reason to get an outboard amp is if your receiver isn't capable of driving your speakers cleanly to the levels you want. Unless and until you've determined that you have a problem, you're only wasting your money.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow86 View Post

I've followed this forum for a while now but now I need some help regarding what to do next with my current system. My current setup is as follows:

Pioneer VSX-1121K
Emotiva XPA-2
Polk RTIA12
Polk micropro3000

I'm pretty new to the audio game so please work with me a bit. I'm fairly tech/mathematics savvy but new to the whole how audio actually works thing. I've researched on my own but feel free to point me to some more reading material if it can help.

This system started out as a stereo setup for the main area of my house but now is being used for tv and movies as well. So now I'm looking to add a center and surround channels. I received a martin logan encore tf center from a family member but I haven't hooked it up as it is a 4 ohm and my receiver isn't rated for 4 ohm.

The idea that receivers can't drive 4 ohm loads is an audiophile myth. Specifications do not generally set the performance limits for a piece of equipment, rather they are a collection of numbers that are used to sell the equipment. In this case the specifications are based on bench testing with pure tones driving a resistive load. This is a more difficult situation than playing music into speakers, even speakers rated at 4 ohms.
Quote:
The room the TV is in is only about 16x14x9. I realize the polks are pretty large for this space but I also use them in the main area of my house which is larger. (I can kind of just spin them out the door and move them like 3 feet) I'm looking for opinions on what would pair well with the polks and whether or not I should use the center I have. I wouldn't mind "upgrading" a bit with the center and surround and replacing the mains down the road. The center and the surrounds only have to fill the space on the TV area. I fairly certain I would like to get a 3 channel amp now and try to keep those two amps for some time. Any thoughts and experience is appreciated.

I don't know why you have the XPA-2. If you actually ran it just below clipping all of the time which is highly unlikely, it is only a few dB louder than your Pioneer receiver. If I were you I'd sell it and put the money into a good subwoofer which would still give you a sound quality advantage despite the fact that your RTA12's are more robust than the average speaker.

If you want to get better matching among the various speakers that you have, you might want to try out your AVR's MCACC automated system optimization feature.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page