Recommendations for Surround Sound Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping I can get some help setting up surround sound in my new home. Below is a picture of the area in question. I have a 47" TV that will be mounted right above the fireplace. The builders recommended installing the speaker wires in the ceiling, but after reading around it seems that would not be the best setup for surround sound. I was just hoping I could get some recommendations from some of you to determine where I should have my front 3 speakers. I plan on mounting the back 2 speakers on the ceiling. Thank you for any help/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If that is to be a functioning fireplace, do not put your TV above it.

The screen will get damaged by smoke and the extra heat will void the warranty when the tech smells smoke on it.

It will also be too high for proper viewing.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The fireplace will maybe be used 1 - 2 times a year. It has a blower that will blow the heat directly to the front. Another thing worth mentioning is that the ceiling fan in the picture will not be there. What I had in mind for the speakers was to mount the TV a little above the fireplace, and then mount the front left and right speakers a but above the TV and to the left and right next to the windows.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco20 View Post

What I had in mind for the speakers was to mount the TV a little above the fireplace, and then mount the front left and right speakers a but above the TV and to the left and right next to the windows.

I'd put the speakers just below the TV, with the left, center, and right all at the same height. Then place the surrounds also at ear height as explained in this short article:

How to set up a room

--Ethan
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

I'm hoping I can get some help setting up surround sound in my new home. Below is a picture of the area in question. I have a 47" TV that will be mounted right above the fireplace. The builders recommended installing the speaker wires in the ceiling, but after reading around it seems that would not be the best setup for surround sound. I was just hoping I could get some recommendations from some of you to determine where I should have my front 3 speakers. I plan on mounting the back 2 speakers on the ceiling. Thank you for any help/suggestions.

Do you have another room in the house? Basement?wink.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The fireplace will maybe be used 1 - 2 times a year. It has a blower that will blow the heat directly to the front. Another thing worth mentioning is that the ceiling fan in the picture will not be there. What I had in mind for the speakers was to mount the TV a little above the fireplace, and then mount the front left and right speakers a but above the TV and to the left and right next to the windows.

I'll echo the others. I've watched movies in setups similar to what you're describing, and it's generally not a pleasant experience. It's uncomfortable looking up at a television for that much time. And sound seems strange when it's coming from the ceiling, or close to it.

Can you orient the room differently? From a design perspective I don't like to have conflicting focal points like a fireplace on one wall, and television on another. But the downsides of putting the television on that wall might outweigh that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page