In-wall cable used in conduit outdoors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm preparing to have a very large paver patio build and I am running 8 speakers on it, 4 more to follow later when the pool is built. I am seeking feedback about running 12awg monoprice in-wall cable through conduit and underground vs. using direct burial cable (I would still put this in conduit). Pricing for the direct burial cable is more than double from what I can find and monoprice does not sell direct burial. Any suggestions or thoughts on just using the in-wall cable through conduct?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2818&seq=1&format=2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Yes, it's perfectly OK to use indoor wire with conduit outside.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Not in our county... Has to be UV-tolerant if above ground, rated for burial if below, even in conduit.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Not in our county... Has to be UV-tolerant if above ground, rated for burial if below, even in conduit.

That may be for class 1 wiring (line voltage) but it's not an issue for speaker wire. But still ask your local inspector if in doubt. I assume a construction project as described is being inspected so you want to make sure before you install the wire. The conduit is certainly within code.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for your responses. I couldn't cancel my purchase of the direct burial cable, so I am stuck with it now. But, I am a bit baffled on the setup of my system and just posted for assistance in the receivers section (if you guys read that part of the site). After looking at Glimmie's setup, I bet my question would be very simple to answer. That is one sick setup you have there. It looks like a tv station!

post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

That may be for class 1 wiring (line voltage) but it's not an issue for speaker wire. But still ask your local inspector if in doubt. I assume a construction project as described is being inspected so you want to make sure before you install the wire. The conduit is certainly within code.

Oops, you are right, I was thinking of AC power cable. Speaker cable is treated as low-voltage wiring and code is a little looser. For me I'd probably use the UWG or whatever anyway just to be safe.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page