Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Player: PS3
Receiver: 1970s Pioneer SA-730
Connections: From PS3, Optical Digital to digital-analog converter, to R/W RCA cables to equalizer, to R/W RCA cables to old reciever.
Speakers: I'm using two more than capable Bose bookshelf speakers. I'm using a basic 2.0 setup without any subwoofer, etc.

Sorry I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to slowly learn some things. Anyway, I know my receiver is very old but I'm stuck with it. Since my receiver is so old, it doesn't have any digital connections (HDMI, Optical, Coax). I purchased a digital to analog converter that works quite well. I went to watch the Dark Knight which had Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and the sound is really really great. But then I went to watch the Dark Knight Rises which has DTS MA 5.1 and the low bass ends were crackly. I then went to the PS3 settings and set Linear PCM on instead of bitstream. I went to watch the movie again but the same thing happened. More strangely, at the top left corner of the screen, it said the audio was DTS MA 5.1. Shouldn't it say Linear PCM instead? I'm a little confused. All I'm trying to do is get the best possible sound from what I have (no HDMI). Also, does the fact that it is 5.1 have anything to do with it? That really wouldn't make much sense though because Dolby TrueHD 5.1 worked amazing on bitstream. Also, I changed the audio on Dark Knight Rises to simple Dolby Digital 2.0 and the sound was pretty terrible, but there were no crackles...
One more thing, Does it make a difference if I'm running the sound first through an equalizer?
Sorry this is so long I'm just a little confused...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
If you have a PS3 slim, verify you dont have "bitstreamed" set in the Video / BD-DVD audio option.

But if you use HDMI, it should be all automatic.

You set that in Sound settings option.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm using an optical digital and converting it to stereo rca and I do have it set to linear PCM and NOT bitstream.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page