Movable room in a room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an exterior wall with screens and studio monitors mounted on. Two walls are shared with another unit. I need three panels and a top that are movable to "horse-shoe" around the computer screens and monitors. Is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Your question is unclear...

I think you are in a multi-unit building, and seeking to minimize sound transmission into other units. Therefore you seek to create a cocoon near your screens/monitors that contains sound, with a lower level in the rest of the room, and so less transmission to your neightbors.

Am I close?

If so, I'm afraid you aren't going to be happy when you find out what it takes to isolate sound. Here's the master reference.
http://andrealbino.wikispaces.com/file/view/Master+Handbook+of+Acoustics+-+5th+Edition+-+F.+Alton+Everest,+Ken+C.+Pohlmann.pdf

Chpt. 16 talks about sound isolation, which I'll wager is beyond your scope, while Chpts 12 and 15 may provide some useful options for absorbing sound, but they will also have a direct and audible influence on sound within the room. Bass will be a special problem, as it's hard to absorb and travels very well thorugh structures.

What do you think? Am I close?

Have fun,
Frank
post #3 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty11 View Post

I have an exterior wall with screens and studio monitors mounted on. Two walls are shared with another unit. I need three panels and a top that are movable to "horse-shoe" around the computer screens and monitors. Is this possible?

You mean like the panels surrounding the guitar amp in the photo below, only larger?

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page