Dedicated theater speaker layout - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to finalize my theater design for my GC but am having some issues figuring out speaker placement for a 7.1 or 7.2 system. Maybe someone can chime in with some guidance.

The room is 20.5' x 16'. I am planning for a 1-1.5' riser for the second row. Up front will be a 120" screen mounted around 3.5' off of the floor. Side and rear surrounds will be placed at a height between front and rear row ear level (front row will probably be the main viewing row).

So, now I am planning out my front screen wall and am running into some problems. I have two options with respect to location of the av receiver, blu ray, etc., either in the front of the theater or in a separate equipment room.

If the av equipment is placed in the front of the theater, I will build a wall to the side of the screen to house the av rack.
This means that I can go for a pseudo false wall upfront (screen placed on actual drywall and side speakers concealed behind columns wrapped in black GOM). I have read about potential issues with resonant cavities and am still trying to figure out a way to minimize the effects...

The speaker height in this setup is also confusing me:

Should I place the subs in the bottom of the false wall columns and then place the LR speakers on top of a shelf above the subs?

Is there a recommended height for the front LR speakers relative to the listener and the screen?

Should the center channel be installed below the screen at 3.5' or above the screen at around 9'?
I read somewhere that our ears are more capable at pinpointing sources of sound close to the ground...
It seems to me that it would be important for the center and LR speakers to be as close to the same height as possible.

An AT screen will not work in this setup as I will not have enough room length left for two rows.
And also, in wall speakers are not an option as the screen wall is an exterior wall.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 307
For front soundstage its best if tweeters are near your ear height.
That includes center.
Do you own your speakers already? If so what brand?
If not, what are you looking at?

Realizing the center if not behind AT screen is near impossible to put at ear height, there have been numerous posts on above vs below the screen.
Generally for a multi row layout below the screen is better because you can aim up and then capture both rows.
If above the screen for multi row set-up, then you have to pick/choose and compromise.

fwiw, I went below the screen, and aimed up, works for me, this is 2008 before carpeting
http://www.avsforum.com/t/989861/ver-1-5-update-mike-r-mtbdudex-diy-home-theatre-basement-thread-4-year-project-done-in-2010#post_15409472
IMG_0480.JPG

What the front looks like today, prior to my 11.1 upgrade:
HT%252520screen%252520PanoramaC.jpg

As reference speaker layout guideline, look at the placement guide for the surrounds, 2-3 ft above ear height pointed slightly down
(yes, there are numerous opinions on that, and also each room may have its layout issues, it's a guide not a must)
post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2013, 10:59 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
All the normal caveats apply;

Most importantly, assure every seated position ear height, in each row, receives a clear an un-obstructed path to each of the three front speakers.

Ideally, each LCR is aligned horizontally with one-another, or as close to this theoretical ideal as possible. If a center channel below the screen can't project clearly and unobstructed to the second row, then move it above the screen, and move the remaining L&R up higher as well. I've had much success covering my room from above my display angled down and in, ... PA style. I've since moved to different situation so that no longer applies, however it's easily doable.

With regard to your subs, best practices should be observed. This includes placement dictated by the room's acoustic needs, as measured at the listening position(s). If you have no such capability, I'd utilize a starting point of approx. 1/4 points, width wise, of your room's width. This should minimize differences in bass response across the width of the room, in each respective seat. You really need to experiment a great deal with sub placement, it may be the single most important aspect you can control; ie, the interaction of the subs to the room's acoustic environment. It's all about the room, experiment with placement,...and unless you measure, you're flying blind.

Rom treatment, bass traps, difusion/scattering, and early/first reflections need to be addressed. A phenomenal impact can be attained with a modest DIY effort and expense. The single most important system component is the loudspeaker/room interface.

Check this out. Ethan is an author, AVS'er, etc, this is an outstanding collection of info.

This is a well thought out video on some simple things often encountered, it's here.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Good info guys. Thanks!
I am currently looking at the Revel Performa3 speakers (specifically the f206 LR), psb (imagine t, imagine t2, and synchrony two), paradigm studio 100 or 60, klipsch rf7ii or rf82ii, and Energy Veritas 6.3. Yeah, I am kind of undecided, lol.

I am also looking at some treatments from GIK acoustics.

I am leaning towards putting the center underneath the screen and angled upwards slightly. This way the tweeter for the LR speakers will be around 40" and the center will be right around 3' above the floor. I might actually have to put the LR speakers on boxes to ensure that the tweeters have an unobstructed path to the second row.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page