Audio Setting Advice for my Equipment and Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some clarification on audio output settings for my setup and equipment.

First, my set up. I have a PS3 connected to my sharp led tv via HDMI and my tv is connected to my Bose cinemate series ii via optical cable.

My TV (assumably) supports Dolby Digital Plus (has logo on it and a digital optical out), and the bose cinemate series ii supports either PCM stereo or Dolby Digital up to DD 5.1.

My question is what is the best audio and video setup from my PS3 audio and video menu options. Right now it's set up as audio output HDMI automatic which selects Linear PCM 2 channel 41.1 and 48 kHz . Audio sounds great but I just want to be sure I'm using the best audio option. Or Should I be selecting HDMI then Manuel and checkmark dolby digital plus and DD 5.1 too since my tv supports DD Plus and my Bose supports up to DD5.1? Also should I stick to linear PCM or bitstream, not sure what the difference is? My worry is that as my audio may sound great am I getting DD 5.1 or just great sounding stereo or DD? Logic suggests to me maybe use Manuel and choose DD 5.1 and send DD 5.1 audio to TV via HDMI and the TV will send DD 5.1 audio via optical to my Bose.
Lastly I'm using the optical cable that came with Bose not sure if I bought a gold tipped optical if that would be better? Any help and advice would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 167
your tv is purely a stereo device. most likely, the hdmi handshake tells the ps3 to send stereo so that you can hear sound when you use the tv's speakers. netither device knows, during tha handshake, that you are using outboard sound. you'll never get multichannel connected that way. if you can, hdmi to the sound system is what allows multichannel to pass to it.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Your TV supports DD+ from Smart TV apps it acquires itself, but not necessarily from eternally attached devices such as your PS3. Most sets only send stereo from attached devices. You should connect the player to the sound system and only use the optical connection from the TV for sound from the set's apps.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys

Hmm now I'm kind of new to this whole thing. I did change the input terminal setting on TV from PCM to dolby digital, wouldn't that essentially make it a device outputting dolby digital sound? And if I connect the Bose to ps3 via optical I won't have sound trough tv unless I use RCA connectors which are only stereo.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The audio output setting probably only affects sound acquired by the TV from its internal tuner or apps. Even if it does pass DD 5.1 from external devices (some sets do), it won't pass DTS. The vast majority of Blu-rays have DTS tracks, which would mean stereo most of the time. If your Bose has a coax input, you could get an optical-coax converter. Or try an optical switch so that both devices can share the one optical input.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

So If I go the optical switch route how would that be set up. Would it be accurate to say leave the HDMI from ps3 to TV then optical from ps3 to bose and also optical from bose to tv via switch? and once i do this should I then change ps3 menu settings to Manual and pick DD or let ps3 automatically pick?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes on the switch configuration. I am not familiar with PS3 settings.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to test this out before I bought a switch, so I connected Bose directly to ps3 via optical (to process the DD 5.1) but I noticed the sound and picture was not in sync, any thoughts and fixes on that?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgregg99 View Post

I wanted to test this out before I bought a switch, so I connected Bose directly to ps3 via optical (to process the DD 5.1) but I noticed the sound and picture was not in sync, any thoughts and fixes on that?

Does the Bose have an internal setting for delay?

Most good AVRs do, but I don't know about Bose equipment.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Does the Bose have an internal setting for delay?

Most good AVRs do, but I don't know about Bose equipment.

Hmm good question the only functionality I have on the remote is volume and power on/off...is there another avenue to check? Also do u think an optical switch would make that worse?