wiring a PA amp... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so i am wiring a PA amp (the 205) to three 8-ohm speakers. 2 of the speakers will be in parallel and the 3rd will be in series off the other speakers. I've found out this will give me a 12 ohm load. on the back of the amp there is a common ground and connections for 4, 8, 16 ohm loads. the manual suggests i connect to the 16 ohm connector with a 12 ohm load.

my question is what is the difference between all the connections. i know the lower the ohms, the more draw there is on the amp. but what i'm getting is why are there different ohm connection options on the amp itself. does the amp output at different levels for each ohm connection?? tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Here's my useless answer. I have no clue why a solid state amp would have different outputs for different speaker impedances. Tube amps use a transformer to make the tubes "see" the right impedance to keep them linear and non distorting to the highest levels possible, and multitap transformers are common in tube amps. Solid state amps, as far as I have seen, just don't care what the imipedance of the attached speakers may be, until that impedance gets low enough that the amp will overheat when driving the impedance hard. But typically a solid state amp that is specified to be able to handle a 2 ohm load uses the same outputs for a 2 ohm load as for a 16 ohm load. Thus my cluelessness.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Yes, that sounds like a tube amp or an early 1960s solid state amp with an output transformer.

McIntosh did use an autotransformer in their early solid state amps as well.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
A true PA amplifier has a so-called "70-volt" output to drive PA speakers. That is what you need for a PA system.

It does not actually put out 70 volts (unless turned up to full volume), but it does put out a lot more voltage than a normal amplifier output..

A PA setup uses speakers that have a matching transformer mounted on each one, with several taps that can be used to adjust the relative volume of the individual speakers with respect to each other and the room size/location. You adjust the speaker volume by moving one of the speaker wire lugs from one transformer terminal to another until you get the amount of sound you want (with the amplifier set to an appropriate volume).

All the speakers are wired in parallel; one pair of wires goes to the first speaker, and on to the next speaker, etc. etc. As many as 10 speakers can usually be connected to an amplifier in this way. Each speaker is a relatively high-impedance load due to its transformer.

With hookup you describe, you would want to use the 8 ohm output terminals on the amp. The 3rd speaker will be twice as loud as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post

so i am wiring a PA amp (the 205) to three 8-ohm speakers. 2 of the speakers will be in parallel and the 3rd will be in series off the other speakers. I've found out this will give me a 12 ohm load. on the back of the amp there is a common ground and connections for 4, 8, 16 ohm loads. the manual suggests i connect to the 16 ohm connector with a 12 ohm load.

my question is what is the difference between all the connections. i know the lower the ohms, the more draw there is on the amp. but what i'm getting is why are there different ohm connection options on the amp itself. does the amp output at different levels for each ohm connection?? tia
post #5 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
A true PA amplifier has a so-called "70-volt" output to drive PA speakers.

Gee, the last concert I went to didn't use a 70 V PA...I guess it wasn't a 'true' PA system.
Quote:
All the speakers are wired in parallel;

no they're not....the transformer primaries are.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
PA stands for "public address" which is usually for announcements and background music in buildings, or to amplify the voice of someone speaking to an audience at a microphone in an auditorium etc.

They don't use PA systems at concerts; they use high-powered pro-audio systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Gee, the last concert I went to didn't use a 70 V PA...I guess it wasn't a 'true' PA system.
no they're not....the transformer primaries are.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
PA stands for "public address" which is usually for announcements and background music in buildings, or to amplify the voice of someone speaking to an audience at a microphone in an auditorium etc.

...or musical instruments...like at a concert wink.gif
Quote:
They don't use PA systems at concerts;

According to you....

... of course, you've been proven worng so many times in these fora, it's actually funny when you post.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

It does not actually put out 70 volts (unless turned up to full volume), but it does put out a lot more voltage than a normal amplifier output..

Any 70V amp can deliver 70V even when the volume control is well below )full volume". The "volume control" has nothing to do with the output voltage or power capability. It is simply a gin control.

Turn the control down and drive it harder and you can get full output unless the level is turned all the way down.

And it won't put out 70V (a BIG MISCONCEPTION many people have) unless it is driven hard enough. And even then it is not a constant 70V-but rather a 70V average music signal.

I don't know what you consider "a lot more voltage", but an amp that can deliver 600 watts into an 8 ohm load is a "70V" amp. That is not that big of am amp these days.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #9 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Being the king of typographical errors, I am far from casting aspersions. But the concept of an amp having a "gin control" tickles me . . ..
post #10 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Hopefully it also has tonic controls.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #11 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

And a lime button. Gotta have the lime.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

And a lime button. Gotta have the lime.

That button works best if there's also a coconut button.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

They don't use PA systems at concerts;
I have been to acoustic and classical concerts that didn't use a PA, but every rock band uses them.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page