Choosing receiver's crossover vs. Surround speakers bottom end - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My three front speakers(Infinity P163's) go down to 49 hz. and I'm looking to upgrade my 2 surround speakers. I'm thinking of buying the P143's, but they only go down to 100 hz. Being that they are for surrounds, is it a problem that they only go down to 100 hz? Does that mean I would have to set the receiver's crossover to 100? If so, isn't that wasting the capabilities of the 3 fronts? I currently have all speakers set to small, and crossover at 80 hz(My current KLH surrounds go down to 80 hz). What do you guys suggest? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

My three front speakers(Infinity P163's) go down to 49 hz. and I'm looking to upgrade my 2 surround speakers. I'm thinking of buying the P143's, but they only go down to 100 hz. Being that they are for surrounds, is it a problem that they only go down to 100 hz? Does that mean I would have to set the receiver's crossover to 100? If so, isn't that wasting the capabilities of the 3 fronts? I currently have all speakers set to small, and crossover at 80 hz(My current KLH surrounds go down to 80 hz). What do you guys suggest? Thanks.

P163s seem to be a good match with a crossover of 80 Hz.

I need to keep harping on the point that sound quality is not about how low a speaker will go, but rather how low it will go cleanly at gratifyingly loud and useful SPLs. In this day and age it is possible to build a speaker with a 4 inch woofer that "goes down to 40 Hz", but it will not sound good there if you play it loud.

In your case your AVR seems to only have one crossover frequency. Given that P163s can be had for $100-150 a pair, I see no reason to go cheaper if it means raising the crossover frequency which means running the risk of having bad bass imaging.

80 Hz is a generally safe crossover frequency for obtaining good bass imaging, but if your subwoofer isn't close to the mains and near the center of your front speakers, you're going to hear some bass sounds coming from off to the side at 100 Hz.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 768
too add to what arny posted, it is also not uncommon for speakers to measure lower in room as opposed to the manufacturer's stated measurements on the spec sheet. I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that are rated to only go down to 57hz but depending on location in my room where they are set up, my receivers auto-cal program will measure the -3 low frequency response at 50 or 40hz.

I'd say get them and experiment with placement and crossovers.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Leave it set to 80 Hz for all.

The fact that the other satellite speakers won't quite get down that low is a non-issue.

It would be better, perhaps, if you did get some satellites that have the capability to go down below 80, but it is not a real big deal.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

arnyk, my receiver has crossover choices of 80, 100, 120 and 150, BUT I can only choose 1 for all speakers. It's not that the P163's are too costly, they're too big for surrounds in our family room, as are the P153's.

So which option do you guys recommend? Thanks.

1) Set the receiver's crossover to 100 hz. to match surrounds low end - Then the fronts won't output anything between 49 hz. and 100 hz. This seems bad.

2) Set the receiver's crossover to 80 hz. - Then the surrounds won't output anything between 80 hz. and 100 hz. Surrounds don't output much info between 80 and 100 hz. anyway, do they?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No one else has an opinion?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I will add some smile.gif.

The right answer for the crossover is almost always 80 Hz. The decision has little to do with your speaker response. 80 Hz is picked so that you can' tell the location of the sub. As you increase this, the risk of you thinking your bass is coming from one place and the rest of the sound from another (i.e. where your main speakers are) increases. Also the P143's don't stop at 100 Hz. They simply have -3 db point at that frequency. They will most likely have output below that.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks amirm, that helps.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List