Liked: 10
Hello,

My setup:
TV: LG 55" 55LV5500-UA
DVR: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC
AVR: Denon 1712* (or Denon 1613)
Speakers: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS51-LR, SP-C21
PS3, appleTV

The reason I'm posting this is because I live in an old, small 1 bedroom NYC apartment. I had my setup plugged into a ~$50 surge protector. However, at one point my air conditioner may have kicked on (in another room) or there was just a power surge or...I'm not sure...but the lights flickered and my Denon suddenly had no output (audio or video). I took the Denon to a repair shop and they said it was a blown power transistor (IIRC) and then later on said it was a bad circuit board. I called the authorized repair sites and the cost to look at it is $80-125, which would be included in the cost of the repair, but that's not including labor. I was told a circuit board could cost up to a few hundred dollars which is worth more than the AVR, so that's why I'm looking at the Denon 1613 since I'm out of warranty for the 1712.

Anyway, I know I don't have thousands of dollars tied up in equipment, but my concern is I live in an old NYC apt and don't have the option/money to have an electrician look at the entire house/building. Plus if I move somewhere else in the city, I'm sure it's going to be another old building. So I'm concerned poor dirty power will follow me around.

I'm not sure if the Denon was just a lemon or the $50 surge protector couldn't handle the surge or what, but I figure if poor electrical quality is to blame, it would be smarter to pay a few hundred bucks on a power conditioner or surge protector than paying a flat fee for authorized retailers, waiting 4-6 weeks without said equipment, etc. The Denon is busted, but all my other equipment is fine.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I need another cheap ~$50 surge protector (I've had it since '06) or a cheaper (~$200 Panamax) power conditioner...or the Denon blowing was just a lemon?
2. I looked a Panamax and it says it has 2 banks, high current and linear filtration, wouldn't it be better to plug my HDTV, AVR, PS3 and Denon into the "high current' and anything else not as important (like a clock or appleTV) into the linear filtration?
3. How do switches work on the Panamax 4300 (or power conditioners in general)? Does that mean I can't use a remote to turn things on and off?
4. Would a power conditioner that I run the modem through cause gaming lag?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Get a surge protector with series mode surge suppression...it's pretty much the only tech worth the $ for point of use protectors. Zero surge, brick wall or surgex, take a look at their products.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy2.0 View Post

Hello,

My setup:
TV: LG 55" 55LV5500-UA
DVR: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC
AVR: Denon 1712* (or Denon 1613)
Speakers: Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-FS51-LR, SP-C21
PS3, appleTV

The reason I'm posting this is because I live in an old, small 1 bedroom NYC apartment. I had my setup plugged into a ~$50 surge protector. However, at one point my air conditioner may have kicked on (in another room) or there was just a power surge or...I'm not sure...but the lights flickered and my Denon suddenly had no output (audio or video). I took the Denon to a repair shop and they said it was a blown power transistor (IIRC) and then later on said it was a bad circuit board. I called the authorized repair sites and the cost to look at it is $80-125, which would be included in the cost of the repair, but that's not including labor. I was told a circuit board could cost up to a few hundred dollars which is worth more than the AVR, so that's why I'm looking at the Denon 1613 since I'm out of warranty for the 1712.

Anyway, I know I don't have thousands of dollars tied up in equipment, but my concern is I live in an old NYC apt and don't have the option/money to have an electrician look at the entire house/building. Plus if I move somewhere else in the city, I'm sure it's going to be another old building. So I'm concerned poor dirty power will follow me around.

I'm not sure if the Denon was just a lemon or the $50 surge protector couldn't handle the surge or what, but I figure if poor electrical quality is to blame, it would be smarter to pay a few hundred bucks on a power conditioner or surge protector than paying a flat fee for authorized retailers, waiting 4-6 weeks without said equipment, etc. The Denon is busted, but all my other equipment is fine.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I need another cheap ~$50 surge protector (I've had it since '06) or a cheaper (~$200 Panamax) power conditioner...or the Denon blowing was just a lemon?
2. I looked a Panamax and it says it has 2 banks, high current and linear filtration, wouldn't it be better to plug my HDTV, AVR, PS3 and Denon into the "high current' and anything else not as important (like a clock or appleTV) into the linear filtration?
3. How do switches work on the Panamax 4300 (or power conditioners in general)? Does that mean I can't use a remote to turn things on and off?
4. Would a power conditioner that I run the modem through cause gaming lag?

Good quality audio gear in reasonably good condition has built-in tolerance to surges, sags, etc. However, nothing lasts forever and everything in this world is sliding towards its next unpredictable failure. You are faced with a judgement call that you want help with but you haven't told all the relevant facts such as how old that Denon was when it crashed.

I would say that the fact that your power event apparently had only one fatality suggests that perhaps your AVR was on the edge, anyway.

If a power surge is inherently damaging to good equipment it usually takes out a number of pieces of equipment in one event.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVR was a new 2012 model bought in Oct of 2011. That's why I'm so hesitant to move forward bc it was brand new
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Would a power conditioner that I run the modem through cause gaming lag?

no
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page