7.1 Speaker Placement in Long Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This has probably been posted and answered a 1000 times, but I'm not finding a specific answer to my speaker placement conundrum. I have a great room style home, with my home theater setup in one end of the room. The entire room is about 14 ft. wide and 55 ft. long. Front speakers are setup in normal "Dolby" fashion, but wall arrangement prevents a perfect rear and side surround setup. The main listening position is about 13-14 ft. from the HDTV/ center speaker, which is centered on the 14 ft width of the wall. Currently, I have a 5.1 set up with in-wall speakers for the rears. They are placed about 7 feet high, and are about 6 ft. behind the listener. I want to go 7.1, so I need to add the side surrounds. The only place I can really place them is at the 7 ft. high level, but they would be about 3-4 ft. in front of the listening position. My question is if having the side surrounds slightly in front of the listening position will obtain less than optimium results in 7.1? Doing a simple angle measurement, the side surrounds would be at about a 75 degree positon (opposed to the recommended 90-110 degrees), and the rears are at about 120 degrees. My thinking is this probably OK, but I don't really want to spend a bunch more money and not feel like I really improved anything. any advise is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Don't waste your time or money. Leave it as a 5.1. I've had 7.1 in the past, its only slightly better 90% of the time.
And I had perfect placement of all 4 surrounds.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Don't waste your time or money. Leave it as a 5.1. I've had 7.1 in the past, its only slightly better 90% of the time.
And I had perfect placement of all 4 surrounds.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
my room is not as long but given your width and MLP preference, and other parameters ,I solved my rear and side mounting like this;

I penciled the problem a while and got this: 2 eight foot track light bars, one end anchored to the walls and then in a dihedral sorta angle to give the possibility of equidistant surrounds and rears (from MLP). I searched around for track light fixtures (USED isok, its the hangers thatr need to be ok) and " removed " and reconfigured the susupension part that fits into the bar (you'll need to extract most of the innerards and keep a sectiion of the rubber isolator to provide proper retention). So then i fabricated an appropriate rube goldberg to give me a good attachment for the speakers. I had to beef up some attachement points to retain swivel and angulation possibilities. I ran the wires thru the ceiling ( my home-my way). I painted the rack light bar and the hangers light primer grey. I used a plate and 2 each toggle bolts to hold the central ends , separately .

My surrounds are Klipsch RS3S and the rears are Klipsch SLX. The rears hand down about 15 inches from the ceiling but i "stretched" the hanger for the surrounds and have them down in the range normally suggested to height and angle WRT listening level at the MLP.they are very close to the wall so the extra "hang" is not a problem.

there seems to be an issue with with attaching the photo but i'm willing to address the porblem, just right not today, it "super sunday" duh!

THE BIG ROOM: Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS3 slim Panny BD 220
Denon X4000 and Emotiva UPA7 for 9.2
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 C, RB 51's, FW's , RS3II SBL/R, RC3II, SL/R, SLX-FH's
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake45 View Post

The only place I can really place them is at the 7 ft. high level, but they would be about 3-4 ft. in front of the listening position.
Can you move your seating 1-2 ft. forward? This will kill 2 birds with one stone: make the Rear speakers further behind you AND get the Side speakers closer to your sides (it's OK to have them slightly forward of the listening position). Should give you better wrap-around envelopment and excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page