Crossover Settings Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 76
This subject always confuses me. I would like to know how you would set your crossovers if you had my speakers. I have a 7.1 System with a Sunfire Sub. I currently have all speakers and sub set at 80 HZ.

My Setup:

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 20's 54 HZ - 22 KHZ
Center: Paradigm CC-470 65 HZ - 22 KHZ
Surrounds: Paradigm SA - 15R 58 HZ - 22 KHZ (In Side Walls)
Surround Backs: Paradigm SA - 15R 58 HZ - 22 KHZ ( In Back Walls)

Subwoofer: Sunfire HRS - 12

Receiver: Sony STR - DA4ES

I would just like to know if my 80 HZ settings are correct, or would you use different settings. This system rocks pretty good now, especially with the Oppo BDP - 83 Analog directs.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Your setup is fine. With decent speakers there willl be a range of crossovers thstnwork essentily identically. With normal source material - music and movies- my brief unscientific check confirmed that crossover from 40 to 80 hz were essentially indistinguishablle at my listening levels. When there are several right answers sny one of them is right.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I was just curious if I should set all the other speakers crossover above or below the subs 80 HZ setting, or should they be the same.

Thanks, JHAz

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz 
Your setup is fine. With decent speakers there willl be a range of crossovers thstnwork essentily identically. With normal source material - music and movies- my brief unscientific check confirmed that crossover from 40 to 80 hz were essentially indistinguishablle at my listening levels. When there are several right answers sny one of them is right.

Perhaps your subwoofer was disabled while testing the crossover points?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Perhaps your subwoofer was disabled while testing the crossover points?

why in the world would you say that? Seems the silliest possible explanation. More likely the mains and sub are flat enough in the range between 40 and 80 Hz as to be indistinguishable with real source material. No idea how audible the diffs might be with test tones, but if it was HUGELY different, something is terribly wrong with something ( unless the mains just don't extend to below 100 Hz with any authority).

Plus, however tin my ears may be, I'd like to imagine I'd notice the missing octave below 80 Hz if the sub was off . . .
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz 
why in the world would you say that?

You did mention your test was brief and unscientific ...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 10
Why 40 to 80hz
post #8 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvaughn49 View Post

Why 40 to 80hz

duh, because that's the range of sub crossover frequencies I tested. See, if the sub plus mains adds up the same at a 40 Hz corssover as at 50, 60 , 70 or 80 (and they are all perfectly flat) there's no possibility that they sound different. If the splice between main and subs difffers in ways that don't make themselves obvious with normal program material, then deviations from flat, while not ideal, are at least indistinguishable as a practical matter. That's what I suppose I heard when flipping among my different crossover frequencies (always recalling that this is me sitting in a room using limited range of material not carefully controlling the frequency content of what I listen to and certainly not operating blind' (ie without knowing which crossover was in place at any given time). SO not rigorous, just enough for me to have a decent sense that I could be happy with any of those crossover frequencies.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If you are using the Oppo's multichannel analog outs, then your AVR crossovers do not come into play. Bass management for analog output must be done in the player, not the receiver, as it happens prior to the digital-analog conversion. Also, you should not set the sub filter at 80Hz. With that setting, LFE above the crossover will simply be discarded. You want to send the sub everything in the .1 channel plus bass from the main channels below the crossover.

If you really want to check crossovers, I suggest using bass sweeps on a calibration disc. They'll show you where each speaker can no longer handle low frequencies as well as the sub.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page