HDMI Audio only from Graphics Card to AV Receiver Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys and girls, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this problem:

Setup:
LG Flatron E2240 VGA Monitor (Connected to card)
ATI 5670 Graphics Card - Catalyst Version 13.1
Sony STR-DN1000 AV Receiver
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

So the issue is that when I connect my HDMI cable from my graphics card to my AVR (on HDMI 3 the "Audio Only" Input) my screen immediately switches to extended desktop mode so the primary display goes into power saving mode (as it thinks that I have a TV Connected) and when I have Extended Desktop fully disabled or change the channel on my AVR the Sound Properties say that AMD HDMI Output is not plugged in.

What I'm trying to do is have my VGA Display running with HDMI Audio just so I can enjoy DTS-HDMA audio from my films and tv and not just plain old DTS, which is what I've been getting with my previous SP/DIF audio connnection.

Does anyone have any idea on how to set it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonpsyko View Post

Hey guys and girls, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this problem:

Setup:
LG Flatron E2240 VGA Monitor (Connected to card)
ATI 5670 Graphics Card - Catalyst Version 13.1
Sony STR-DN1000 AV Receiver
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

So the issue is that when I connect my HDMI cable from my graphics card to my AVR (on HDMI 3 the "Audio Only" Input) my screen immediately switches to extended desktop mode so the primary display goes into power saving mode (as it thinks that I have a TV Connected) and when I have Extended Desktop fully disabled or change the channel on my AVR the Sound Properties say that AMD HDMI Output is not plugged in.

Makes sense to me. You forced the graphics card which is apparently set up to drive just one display, to switch to its HDMI output by plugging something into its HDMI output.

If you can talk your way out of this, it would seem that setting your PC up to drive 2 displays, probably with the identical same desktop, would a good first move.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Makes sense to me. You forced the graphics card which is apparently set up to drive just one display, to switch to its HDMI output by plugging something into its HDMI output.

If you can talk your way out of this, it would seem that setting your PC up to drive 2 displays, probably with the identical same desktop, would a good first move.

I only want one display and the HDMI is just for the audio to my av receiver, what's happening is that when the HDMI cable is connected my card is thinking that it is connected to a 2nd display when there isn't, just my AVR, when all I want is for the HDMI cable to be carrying audio, not for my card to think there is a dual display or anything like that.

Edit: also when I did have it on extended desktop and it was displaying my monitor as the primary desktop, the audio on the AVR was coming up as Stereo LPCM and not A.F.D Auto Optical.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonpsyko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I only want one display and the HDMI is just for the audio to my av receiver, what's happening is that when the HDMI cable is connected my card is thinking that it is connected to a 2nd display when there isn't, just my AVR, when all I want is for the HDMI cable to be carrying audio, not for my card to think there is a dual display or anything like that.

Edit: also when I did have it on extended desktop and it was displaying my monitor as the primary desktop, the audio on the AVR was coming up as Stereo LPCM and not A.F.D Auto Optical.

What I'm saying is most video cards can be set up so that both outputs are identical and capable of running concurrently. Then, when you plug in the HDMI line to the AVR the VGA output should continue to work.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh ok, so im running duplicated desktop on one screen, cool cool.

What about the issue of the Audio, the AMD HDMI Output in the Sound Properties tab when made default the AVR goes to to just stereo, yet it should be on surround, any ideas?

When on HDMI:

When on SP/DIF
post #6 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Nevermind worked out how to fix it, I just had to switch Audio Device in my Creative Control panel, makes it way more useful now, so I can switch between HDMI 3 for Videos and Optical for Games with EAX, you were right, just setting it to duplicate made life sooo much easier.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat