In wall speaker placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in using three R-3800-W II In-Wall Speakers for my front, center, and left in my new home theater, but I am unsure of placement on these speakers. The room is a finished space over my garage, so the space has sloped ceilings. The wall they will be mounted in is an odd shape (hexagon)due to the sloped ceilings. The floor measurement is 10'6", the knee wall is 5', the slope is 4'8" at 49.6 degrees, and the flat part of the ceiling is 3'5". My TV is 50", but I plan on getting a larger one in the future. Can you please give me advice as to where to mount these speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
At a given price point, the sound quality of in-wall speakers is far inferior to that of speakers that have their own enclosure with a correct acoustic design. Holes in walls do not make a good speaker enclosure.

If you must put speakers in your walls or ceiling, do so with the knowledge that you are not going to achieve particularly good sound quality and will pay through the nose for what you do get.

Of course, you CAN get cheap public-address-quality speakers to stick in a wall, but the ones that sound halfway decent are very expensive!

I wouldn't wish in-wall speakers on my worst enemy; even the very best of them.
Rasta Linus likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

At a given price point, the sound quality of in-wall speakers is far inferior to that of speakers that have their own enclosure with a correct acoustic design. Holes in walls do not make a good speaker enclosure.

If you must put speakers in your walls or ceiling, do so with the knowledge that you are not going to achieve particularly good sound quality and will pay through the nose for what you do get.

Of course, you CAN get cheap public-address-quality speakers to stick in a wall, but the ones that sound halfway decent are very expensive!

A properly designed In-wall can sound just as good, and possibly even better, than its in room counterpart.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A properly designed In-wall can sound just as good, and possibly even better, than its in room counterpart.

There are several big potential advantages to an in-wall installation done right:

(1) Flush mounting the drivers with the wall avoids speaker cabinet diffraction problems.

(2) Putting the speaker in the wall avoids peaks and dips due to reflections off the wall behind the speaker

I wouldn't be surprised if it evolved that some people are reacting badly to the removal of these potentially audible artifacts.

I'm thinking of the very real backlash against digital because it removed the audible artifacts of vinyl.

Of course the dog in the stable is this business of properly designing the in-wall system. It probably isn't done a lot.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I think the point here was "at a given price point." I'm curious how much of a premium someone might pay per front speaker to get equivalent sound quality. For instance a dealer bid me SpeakerCraft-AIM CINEMA ONE in-wall LCRs, but I have no idea what floorstanding/bookshelf-type speaker that might be equivalent to in terms of performance.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 83

Thought I'd post some pics of my in wall speakers. I like in wall because I don't want the room to look like speakers everywhere. As you can see, I built enclosures to enhance their performance. 2 X 6 side walls for the surrounds, 2 X 4 rear walls for the surround backs. As I was working on the addition, I connected a old 2 channel Akai Receiver to the left and right surrounds. They played very loud and sounded terrific. Don't let anyone discourage you about in walls. My 7.1 system rocks.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
There are some very good in-wall designs out there...
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=32111

And no one's mentioned that the lack of BSC means they're 3-6dB more sensitive.

The units you mention are Klipsch, which may stir opinions, but definitely are not one of the cheap, generic, low-quality ceiling speakers - and they are available - which deserve commsysman's comments.

Have fun,
frank
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
In Wall Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page