Question about speaker interconnects - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Question about speaker interconnects
limp003's Avatar limp003 04:12 PM 02-04-2013
Hello, I want to buy these Emotiva Speaker Interconnects (http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xss) for my left, right, and center channels. Are there any other options that offer this look besides DIY at a lower price?

JHAz's Avatar JHAz 06:45 PM 02-04-2013
monoprice.com. bluejeanscable.com. Call 'em speaker cables. The things you connect line level devices to a receiver with (at line level) are normally called interconnects.
commsysman's Avatar commsysman 10:26 PM 02-04-2013
If you are interested in proper performance get some 14 gauge speaker wire from Monoprice.

If the "look" is what you want, check out Audioquest, Cardas, Straight Wire, and others for fancier-looking speaker cables.
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 06:14 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by limp003 View Post

Hello, I want to buy these Emotiva Speaker Interconnects (http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xss) for my left, right, and center channels. Are there any other options that offer this look besides DIY at a lower price?

If you understand that they are audio jewelry and have zero audible benefits, spend your money!

I admit it, my wife wears jewelry. ;-) My audio system doesn't.

I think that Blue Jeans Cables may have some competitive offerings at a lower cost, but some of their speaker cables look butt-ugly to me.

Since this is a subjective topic, it is up to you to look around.

How about these?

http://sewelldirect.com/Silverback-Speaker-Wire-by-Sewell-Enhanced-Loud-Oxygen-Free-Pure-Copper-259-Strand-Count-3-ft-Terminated.asp
DonH50's Avatar DonH50 08:37 AM 02-05-2013
Speaker cables and butts are best unseen and/or covered... Mine lie on the floor and I ignore them. The speaker cables, anyway, and a dearth of mirrors in the media room solves the second issue.
JD in NJ's Avatar JD in NJ 08:40 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Speaker cables and butts are best unseen and/or covered... Mine lie on the floor and I ignore them. The speaker cables, anyway, and a dearth of mirrors in the media room solves the second issue.

In my opinion that depends quite a bit on the butt about which we're talking.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50 08:47 AM 02-05-2013
Well, Arny's, since he brought it up, and now I have an image I do NOT wish to see again!!!
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 08:54 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Speaker cables and butts are best unseen and/or covered... Mine lie on the floor and I ignore them. The speaker cables, anyway, and a dearth of mirrors in the media room solves the second issue.

My speaker cables are in the wall, and looped over hooks on the back of my equipment cabinet. They do not lie on the floor, but they are as hidden as possible. The wall plates have Speakon connectors and are thus totally secured from the slings and arrows of people who chase dust. ;-)
limp003's Avatar limp003 11:02 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

If you understand that they are audio jewelry and have zero audible benefits, spend your money!

I admit it, my wife wears jewelry. ;-) My audio system doesn't.

I think that Blue Jeans Cables may have some competitive offerings at a lower cost, but some of their speaker cables look butt-ugly to me.

Since this is a subjective topic, it is up to you to look around.

How about these?

http://sewelldirect.com/Silverback-Speaker-Wire-by-Sewell-Enhanced-Loud-Oxygen-Free-Pure-Copper-259-Strand-Count-3-ft-Terminated.asp

Thanks for the replies. Those "Silverbacks" do have the "look" I want and are super cheap. I get the speaker wires are for "looks" but its only for the front three speakers. I just dont see myself spending $50 (at emotiva) a wire for speakers.
K Shep's Avatar K Shep 11:11 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by limp003 View Post

Hello, I want to buy these Emotiva Speaker Interconnects (http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/interconnects/products/xss) for my left, right, and center channels. Are there any other options that offer this look besides DIY at a lower price?

Those cables look great at a good price, this has nothing to do with performance. I bought used cables on Audiogon that look similar to the Emotiva cables you've posted, at a higher price. Those Emotiva's come with banana and spade interchangeable tips, which is a nice feature too.
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 11:45 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

They do not lie on the floor, but they are as hidden as possible.

Ahh, so you do believe in the sonic benefits of cable elevators! biggrin.gif
JD in NJ's Avatar JD in NJ 11:54 AM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Ahh, so you do believe in the sonic benefits of cable elevators! biggrin.gif

I prefer cable escalators.
K Shep's Avatar K Shep 12:11 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Ahh, so you do believe in the sonic benefits of cable elevators! biggrin.gif


Please pass me a cable lifter.



JHAz's Avatar JHAz 12:23 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Shep View Post

Please pass me a cable lifter.



first you need a spaghetti strainer
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 01:03 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

They do not lie on the floor, but they are as hidden as possible.

Ahh, so you do believe in the sonic benefits of cable elevators! biggrin.gif

Cable elevators push, my hooks pull! ;-)

The sound quality advantage is that I don't have to hear complaints about having to vacuum the floor in and among the cables lying on it.
JD in NJ's Avatar JD in NJ 01:10 PM 02-05-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cable elevators push, my hooks pull! ;-)

The sound quality advantage is that I don't have to hear complaints about having to vacuum the floor in and among the cables lying on it.

And that's one noise floor most of us want pushed as low as possible.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50 01:24 PM 02-05-2013
biggrin.gif
limp003's Avatar limp003 06:15 PM 02-18-2013
Any other fancy jacketed speaker cables/wires at a moderately low price?
JD in NJ's Avatar JD in NJ 04:12 AM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cable elevators push, my hooks pull! ;-)

I'm sure you would need both for the best SQ if your amplifiers use a push-pull architecture.
Up
Mobile  Desktop