custom sci-fi acoustic panels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently made some acoustic panels. I used Roxul Safe n Sound insulation batts framed by 1x3 furring strips. Since insulation batts are loose, I used a cheap fabric from Hancock for the backs and a spray adhesive to keep the insulation from sagging. The front is designs that I created and had printed onto fabric from spoonflower. They turned out really well for the most part. The only things that looked off were too dark of a background on the Star Wars panel with the bespin battle, and the red shirt was a little more maroon than red on the Star Trek panel. I still think they look great. Here are some build pics along with a couple on the walls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Gorgeous work. IF you can you put small pegs on the back corners of the wood frames to float the panels 3 inches off the wall, that will make your absorbers all the more effective.

Sanjay
post #3 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
+1 on the work, and +1 on the suggestion to float the panels off the wall a little.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'll see what I can do. They aren't completely flat against the wall because of how they are hung and the wood was warped some making the panels not completely flat.

I do agree that holding them of the wall a little well help, but 3in may be a bit much for aesthetics.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Subjectively did they improve the sound imaging for you?
(I'm assuming you don't ahve measurement gear so no ETC charts to share)

The sure look nice,
++1 on floating them 3" off the wall, it might actually look neater seeing them floating off the wall instead of obviously on the wall.
Here was my method to float off the wall
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1312693/diy-construction-methods-of-hang-able-acoustic-panels-not-fixed-frames#post_19947658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Hanging 101 for DIY framed 2' x 4' acoustic panels:

I used alum "z" from ats acoustics, http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--ac...are--IK12.html

They were set 3" in from each frame edge to have invisible look and the frame sorta just float there.

Note:

Wall to frame spacer/holders were pre-made, pre-drilled (each then acts as its own drill jig for holes into the wall), and painted wall color prior.

Mine were 19" wide and 3 1/2 tall, and 1 1/2 inches thick, basically scrap stuff I had lying around.

Measure twice, use blue tape for visual markers, locate top holder, mine was a 1 1/2" thick piece so the panel would have 2" air gap.

Hold with hand, drill into drywall with 3" deck screw, mini-level assures level, Locate bottom holder, drill into drywall with 3" deck screw.

Remove, use drilled holes to locate the 50lb plastic dywall anchors
Re-attach top/bottom holders, using 3" deck screw.

If measurements done correctly slight tweaks to get level----

this shows 2" air gap

That's all for tonight, later I'll post my acoustic cloud DIY making/hanging method....

I should say:

-the cloth wrapped fiberglass is nicely held rigid in, no worries about it ever coming out, even due to my kids possible "abuse".

That's why I made channels instead of just "boxing it in"....I was un-sure about the robustness of just that way.

-a 3 point mtg, 2 top and 1 bottom, is very secure and quite easy to locate and level, don't be concerned so much.

-the WAF is extremely high on these, she likes them!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I did subjectively notice a difference. The biggest difference I noticed was actually in my bedroom/office where I placed a couple behind my Behringer active studio monitor that sit on my desk next to the wall. The bigger distance is likely due to the poorer placement the room allows.

I did download rew, and I tried using it with the microphone that came with the receiver for its room correction. There was way too much noise when I finally managed to get the microphone input loud enough for rew that any usable measurement wasn't possible.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
The mic will need a pre-amp of some sort. Think signals in the 1mV range for the mic, compared with a 200mV input sensitivity for an AVR. Most mixers assume XLR connections, so you may need to make an adapter, or spend more for 1/4" jacks.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Icicle-Converter-Preamp/dp/B001EW5YQS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1360705003&sr=8-15&keywords=Blue+Microphones
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-802-mixer

And these may be over-featured for what you need...

HAve fun,
Frank
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page