Help with 7.1 speaker placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of changing over to a new system with new speakers and a new receiver. I cannot determine or figure out what the best speaker setup would be for the 7.1 from a 5.1. Here is a copy of my current setup http://i.imgur.com/RTOOD56.jpg my wife is against speaker stands if at all possible because we have an 8 month old that will pull anything to the ground if possible. Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Am I seeing a roughly 14x21 room? If it's that wide, I suggest front wides (my room's 15x22). Given kids, I'd hang something on the front side walls above easy reach, or on the corners depending what the actual back wall configuration is (are those doorways?)

Have fun,
Frank
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
You can ceiling mount the Rear speakers just like you did with your current Side speakers. The Sides are fine where they currently are, directly to the sides of the listening area. I would put the Rears as far back as possible, spread at least 60 degrees apart (in order to hear stereo imaging behind you). Even with ceiling mounted speakers, this will give you excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, roughly that size. Yes, they are doorways/hall as well. The speakers I am getting are these http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=2263&sc=52 . Reviews looked good on them. My biggest thing was determining if it was worth it to try and lower the rears I have and put two fronts up for the height I keep reading about, but I was not sure how that would sound.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page