Floorstander Placement in this room... dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi AVS!

It's been a long time but this forum was really helpful during my hunt for the system I wanted. Since then it has been several years of audio bliss. Well, now I am moving in with my girlfriend, in Brooklyn NY. We found a fairly nice place with rent we can afford and decent square footage, great view, seemingly well insulated for sound (turns out it's not, but that'll only affect my musicianship, not my listening) etc.. but the living room layout is a little weird. We didn't want to miss out on the place for that alone and pulled the trigger.. it's a kickass place! This was originally a studio and they put up a new wall, and the door placement in that wall means there are no uninterrupted walls in the whole living room. Here is the layout and a few pics for reference of scale. The measurement along the bedroom wall is 193'' not 93'' as indicated in the floor plan and the dimensions of "living room and kitchen" is the whole apartment, including the bedroom.

We do not want anything to block the path between the bedroom door and the bathroom door, or into the apartment, into the kitchen etc. It is ok if we have to walk around something to get to the balcony door. We are also cool with closing one of the sliding doors to the bedroom and leaving the other half open. Something can go in front of the closed door. Not planning on a lot of seating, just a 2 or 3 seat couch and a chair or two, a small tv on a cart (no wall mounting) and the basic bookcase somewhere, plus my cd racks which are also not bulky. I'm trying to get her to understand that it is a waste of awesome speakers not to place them right, and that ultimately with that living room the approach of shoving everything with one corner is not going to do them justice so we'll have to be a little creative. Listening is a huge priority to me.

The system is 2 Chorus 826v floorstanders hooked up to a Cambridge Audio Azure 640.

So what am I gonna do here? Any layout suggestions? Is it time to do bookshelf speakers on stands for a while? I have somewhere safe to store my beloved Chorus. I'm also ok with investing in better monitors for my studio desk (in the bedroom) and not having a living room hifi at all, even though I prefer the coloration of hifi vs monitors and also don't want to be in front of a PC every time I listen. In my testing anything from 76'' to 92'' for the sides of the triangle sounds great to me, but smaller than 72" starts to get very harsh and unbalanced, however maybe putting them closer to a wall/corner would mellow that out a bit. Music style is mostly rock, fusion, metal, acoustic (piano or guitar), prog rock, slowcore, etc..
Honestly I can't think of anything that'll work frown.gif except maybe chuck the 3 seater and put a 2 seater facing the windows and after the bedroom door, and have the stereo in front of the windows. She says that there isn't enough room for a 2 seater there, but the way I see it, what's the harm in having to walk between a couch and a wall to get to the bathroom, or walk around the couch a little bit to get into the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Nada?

She suggested a third option that I actually like which was to put everything at a diagonal like this / vs. the floor plan. I tweaked it a bit so the tv is in the upper left corner, the couch faces it (and is at a diagonal as well). One speaker would be near the bedroom door and the other near the balcony door. This seems to give about 6' per side in the triangle between speakers and listener and just enough space from the walls, but I have to see it in person. If we have more people over we can always bring the TV in so their view is not blocked.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think you may have hit on the best option. You might want some heavy drapes that can come out to cover the windows behind the right speaker as needed to keep that area really dark while viewing (depending on how well the blinds work).

I had an almost identical setup for years with the same kind of windows on the right and a solid wall on the left, and it was very good that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtone View Post

Nada?

She suggested a third option that I actually like which was to put everything at a diagonal like this / vs. the floor plan. I tweaked it a bit so the tv is in the upper left corner, the couch faces it (and is at a diagonal as well). One speaker would be near the bedroom door and the other near the balcony door. This seems to give about 6' per side in the triangle between speakers and listener and just enough space from the walls, but I have to see it in person. If we have more people over we can always bring the TV in so their view is not blocked.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

thank you commsysman. I was wondering if it's do much harm to have glass on one side and drywall on the other so I'm glad that setup worked for you. The blinds are nice thick wood so maybe at the right angle they will be able to make it sound even to what the wall is doing.

Would a rug be pretty essential? For some reason I feel like you can do seating/speakers etc. at a diagonal but putting a rug on the floor would make it really discordant.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Floorstanding speakers are probably going to be below the windows, so that may not be much of a problem.

Carpeting is certainly going to help reduce the reflections of higher frequencies, which can cause problems.

Even an area rug under and in front of the speaker can help a lot if you don't want wall-to-wall carpeting.

If your decor supervisor approves, it would possibly be helpful to put in some fairly heavy lined drapes to cover the windows when listening.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page