can I fix my speakers by switching black and red connections? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

I made a thread last week about my speakers sounding flat, boomy with no dynamic range

I was reading post on this forum with a guy having a similiar issue and he fixed it by switching the wires for a brief moment, running the test tones and switching the wires back to in phase and it somehow fixed the problem

can someone explain to me how this would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM

It sounds like maybe his speaker cables weren't connected very well and he inadvertently fixed it. I don't think it had anything to do with the phase. Your problem also does not sound like a phase problem... things that are having phase problems don't just sound less than great, they sound totally weird. If you're not sure what's + and - on your outputs/inputs you can check to see which sounds better, but assuming everything on your gear is labeled, and labeled correctly, you want it the way it is... the same color should be on + for each speaker and likewise for -.

One thing that's helped me troubleshoot before was listening up close to each part of the speaker (ie. each cone, the tweeter, etc) and comparing the two. Often times I'll find that on one of the speakers the mids are a lot lower, and sure enough will find a loosely connected speaker cable on that speaker!
post #3 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response man.

you know the weird thing?

last week they were sounding great, very clear, good base and great dynamic range. Now all of a sudden they sound terrible! no bass, no clairty, just a muddle of noise.

I am having trouble selling these speakers so I am stuck with them frown.gif

they are only 6 months old. too soon for the sub to be blown?
post #4 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM

That is indeed weird. It's good you gave that background... if the sound changed a lot and your room hasn't then it does sound like something is wrong with the hardware. Did you check all the connections yet? If not maybe switch everything off, including the power, reconnect all the cables (just to be sure they are connected well) and turn it back on.

What is the system?
post #5 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:43 PM

I just realized I never answered your question, but basically you if you have 2 wires running into each speaker you would just disconnect them and reconnect them in the reverse of how they were connected before. IF you do it to both speakers they should maintain their phase. If you do it to just one they will be out of phase. I don't think it'll do any harm but I've never tried. All it should do is reverse when the speaker magnet is pushing and when it's pulling.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
It sounds a bit like oxidized connectors that get cleaned a bit by reattaching them.

post #7 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh ok that makes sense

this is the system

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ht-e6750w_Surround-Sound-System_review

its vacuum tube tech. I am thinking the tube has warped maybe and that has ruined the sound?

can that even happen?
post #8 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I don't know if they warp, but tubes certainly can and do go bad and need to be replaced now and then.

post #9 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

I don't know if they warp, but tubes certainly can and do go bad and need to be replaced now and then.

Damn...

are they expensive to fix?

I thought tubes last for years frown.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Preamp tubes last a long time. Power tubes need to be replaced more often but in hi-fi I think that still means 2 years or more. Guitar amp power tubes need to be swapped about every 2 years and those are pushed a lot harder. Replacement tubes cost around $30-$50 usually but it can vary. What can be a mess is that sometimes the tubes have different values than the last ones and you will need to bias the amp. This is a subjective matter and again, different manufacturers handle it differently.

If you haven't been letting them warm up as recommended by manufacturer that will shorten the life of the tubes for sure.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEH_CJ View Post

Hey guys

I made a thread last week about my speakers sounding flat, boomy with no dynamic range

I was reading post on this forum with a guy having a similiar issue and he fixed it by switching the wires for a brief moment, running the test tones and switching the wires back to in phase and it somehow fixed the problem

can someone explain to me how this would work?

The speaker wiring was a little lose or corroded and removing and replacing the cables broke through the corrosion layers and cleaned up the sound.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well guys had a qualified friend had a listen to my system today and he thinks the speakers or amp is blown because there is too much bass going through all the speakers?

regardless of how much bass I have the system just vibrates, clips and booms like crazy.

can I just give you guys a warning? do not ever...ever buy a samsung sytem.

this is actually my 2nd samsung home theater and both have had the same issue.

I am disgusted.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well guys had a qualified friend had a listen to my system today and he thinks the speakers or amp is blown because there is too much bass going through all the speakers?

regardless of how much bass I have the system just vibrates, clips and booms like crazy.

can I just give you guys a warning? do not ever...ever buy a samsung sytem.

this is actually my 2nd samsung home theater and both have had the same issue.

I am disgusted.

Trust me, I wouldn't buy a HTIB on a bet. The speakers have a very bad reputation and the electronics range from dodgy to unusable.

You need a good component system, which may not cost you more than what you paid for this.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-E6730W-Channel-1330-Watt-Blu-Ray/dp/B007581VWG/ref=sr_1_1

I took a look the user manual, and even the AVR part of this lash-up is nonstandard:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201204/20120409222443784/02472E_E6750W_SJ_01_0403.pdf

page 12.

Note the nonstandard speaker terminals.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Trust me, I wouldn't buy a HTIB on a bet. The speakers have a very bad reputation and the electronics range from dodgy to unusable.

You need a good component system, which may not cost you more than what you paid for this.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-E6730W-Channel-1330-Watt-Blu-Ray/dp/B007581VWG/ref=sr_1_1

I took a look the user manual, and even the AVR part of this lash-up is nonstandard:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201204/20120409222443784/02472E_E6750W_SJ_01_0403.pdf

page 12.

Note the nonstandard speaker terminals.

Yup I made a huge mistake. Never trusting bing lee ever again. Bastards I wasted so much money, and how am I going to sell these now? frown.gif

can you recommend a good home theatre package?

I trust you guys more than bing lee lol
post #15 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yup I made a huge mistake. Never trusting bing lee ever again. Bastards I wasted so much money, and how am I going to sell these now? frown.gif

can you recommend a good home theatre package?

I trust you guys more than bing lee lol

I don't know how prices line up in your country but my one-size fits all system in this price range would be:

Whatever AVR Onkyo or Denon is selling for under $350

Infinity Primus 163 or 363 as you can afford. P251 or 351 center channel if required.

Polk PSW 505 subwoofer

Samsung, Panasonic, Yamaha, or Pioneer Blu Ray player in the ca. $100 range.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page