its my birthday, what should i upgrade? :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello,

my birthday is coming up this month, and this is one of the very few times i can get something for myself without really having to 'budget' for it. my question is... what is the best thing to upgrade in my current setup?

current:
receiver: onkyo tx-sr504
speakers: polk cs1 (center), monitor 60 (l/r), monitor 30 (surround), psw10 (sub)
blu-ray: sony
tv: samsung dlp

i am not planning to upgrade my tv as it is over my self imposed limit of $500. based on research, these are the things i could upgrade:
receiver: denon AVR-1913
subwoofer: hsu vtf-2
blu-ray: oppo bdp-103

what would give me the best (noticeable) bang for the buck? any alternatives that i didnt go over?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I come down on the side of the subwoofer, unless that is your current receiver has no room correction built in.

post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

thats exactly why i want to upgrade my receiver... mainly for the room correction (Audyssey MultEQ). My current receiver has no room correction.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

In that case I'd most likely lean towards the receiver. The exception would be if I felt that bass was really lacking and needed a big step up... And that lack would have to be a result of a truly undersized sub, not room modes that led to big nulls where I sit. If you have no measuring equipment, which is likely, then ask yourself: When walking around, does bass get a lot better in some areas than it is where you sit? If so, you've got positioning problems, not a sub size problem. Room correction can not do much about nulls created by low frequency inteference.

It's about addressing what you yourself perceive to be the biggest deficiency in your sound system.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post

thats exactly why i want to upgrade my receiver... mainly for the room correction (Audyssey MultEQ). My current receiver has no room correction.

It would be nice if you could step it up to a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT. You'd be able to EQ your sub with it also. I know this is a refurb with a one year warranty but you can add a year for $25 or 3 years for $35. There have been a lot of happy customers here in the forums with this site:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2113CI/DENON-AVR-2113CI-7.1ch-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-Ready/1.html

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

In that case I'd most likely lean towards the receiver. The exception would be if I felt that bass was really lacking and needed a big step up... And that lack would have to be a result of a truly undersized sub, not room modes that led to big nulls where I sit. If you have no measuring equipment, which is likely, then ask yourself: When walking around, does bass get a lot better in some areas than it is where you sit? If so, you've got positioning problems, not a sub size problem. Room correction can not do much about nulls created by low frequency inteference.

It's about addressing what you yourself perceive to be the biggest deficiency in your sound system.

That depends on your definition of "room correction". If it includes room treatments, you can certainly fix nulls with "room correction". wink.gif

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

That depends on your definition of "room correction". If it includes room treatments, you can certainly fix nulls with "room correction". wink.gif

True enough, but the context here was about [automated] room correction [software] after all.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post

hello,

my birthday is coming up this month, and this is one of the very few times i can get something for myself without really having to 'budget' for it. my question is... what is the best thing to upgrade in my current setup?

current:
receiver: onkyo tx-sr504
speakers: polk cs1 (center), monitor 60 (l/r), monitor 30 (surround), psw10 (sub)
blu-ray: sony
tv: samsung dlp

i am not planning to upgrade my tv as it is over my self imposed limit of $500. based on research, these are the things i could upgrade:
receiver: denon AVR-1913
subwoofer: hsu vtf-2
blu-ray: oppo bdp-103

what would give me the best (noticeable) bang for the buck? any alternatives that i didnt go over?

thanks!

That's a tough call. But I think I would upgrade the receiver first.... Next time you have $500 to $600 to upgrade I would suggest a new sub be it a HSU VTF2.4 or Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus or EX or SVS PB1000.

Shawn
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 435
What doesn't sound right?

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Another vote for receiver. Happy birthday!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page