Should I set my front towers to large? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was assuming that setting my front speakers to large is the best choise because the woofers on my fronts are 10'' and my subwoofer is only 8'' (jamo sub250).

Should i set my fronts to large , and the other speakers to small with 80 x-over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Large = "Don't send any bass to subwoofer from this speaker"

Small = "Send any bass below this speaker's crossover point to the sub"

post #3 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

Large = "Don't send any bass to subwoofer from this speaker"

Small = "Send any bass below this speaker's crossover point to the sub"
I know what they mean , but THX and also many people recommend everything to small with a crossover of 80hz. I was thinking of setting my fronts to LARGE for the reason that the woofer is bigger then the driver of my subwoofer. 10'' vs 8''. Maybe i will get a stronger ''bass'' from my fronts. Unfortunately,my avr only let me choose a crossover for all the speakers.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
This gets to be a reasonably complicated issue, and there are many discussions about it here which go into all the depth you probably want. I just wanted to make sure it's clear that "large/small" don't mean big and little when it comes to bass management.

post #5 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The mains are placed for proper imaging, which is likely not the best placement for bass response. The sub can be placed wherever it takes to maximize bass performance. So, even if your mains are capable of handling deep bass, setting them to small and using the sub may still work better.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
See also this thread from late December: Tower speakers with 10'' woofers set to LARGE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

The mains are placed for proper imaging, which is likely not the best placement for bass response. The sub can be placed wherever it takes to maximize bass performance. So, even if your mains are capable of handling deep bass, setting them to small and using the sub may still work better.

Set your speakers to Small and do a subwoofer crawl. Let the sub handle the deep bass even if it's only 8" it's power handling capability will ensure you what it was designed for.

Cheers, Feri

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Set your speakers to Small and do a subwoofer crawl. Let the sub handle the deep bass even if it's only 8" it's power handling capability will ensure you what it was designed for.

I would get a bigger sub, at least 12" in a >3cf cabinet. Size of the enclosure does matter, the smaller the enclosure the less bass you'll get without EQ. Some subs, such as the Emotiva one's, trade off deep bass for a small enclosure <2cf. Because you're sub is so small that it may be less capable than your mains each of which has a 10" woofer, compared to a single 8" in your sub.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post

I was assuming that setting my front speakers to large is the best choise because the woofers on my fronts are 10'' and my subwoofer is only 8'' (jamo sub250).

Should i set my fronts to large , and the other speakers to small with 80 x-over?

Try both and see what sounds best to you.

I see your point, we are trading off a single 8" moderate xMax driver against two 10" drivers that probably have less xMax but we don't know for sure. The sub isn't wasted because it is still probably doing LFE duty.

I like Theresa's idea - get a decent Sub. It is too bad you aren't in the states and capitalize on things like Amazon's < $200 deal on Polk PSW 505s.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

I would get a bigger sub, at least 12" in a >3cf cabinet. Size of the enclosure does matter, the smaller the enclosure the less bass you'll get without EQ. Some subs, such as the Emotiva one's, trade off deep bass for a small enclosure <2cf. Because you're sub is so small that it may be less capable than your mains each of which has a 10" woofer, compared to a single 8" in your sub.
Indeed. Im sticking with fronts to large and others to small with 80 x-over. Will getting another sub to have two is a good idea? I was thinking of adding a 12'' along with my 8''.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I know that you have posted here before, but I can't remember what the make and model of your front speakers are. Can you please state the make and model?

Espo77
post #12 of 17 Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

I know that you have posted here before, but I can't remember what the make and model of your front speakers are. Can you please state the make and model?
Theyre the jamo s608 tower speakers. I find bass is much more dynamic when fronts are set to large. It maybe be because my sub is a 8'' comapred to my fronts which both have a 10'' woofer or maybe because the sub placement. I got lack of space in the room , so i put my sub in the front left corner, and when i turn the knob volume past , say , 10 o'clock , it starts to rumble during action movies. I have to leave it at 9 o'clock so it wont rumble , but i will have a lot less bass.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Theyre the jamo s608 tower speakers. I find bass is much more dynamic when fronts are set to large. It maybe be because my sub is a 8'' comapred to my fronts which both have a 10'' woofer or maybe because the sub placement. I got lack of space in the room , so i put my sub in the front left corner, and when i turn the knob volume past , say , 10 o'clock , it starts to rumble during action movies. I have to leave it at 9 o'clock so it wont rumble , but i will have a lot less bass.

What AVR do you have? Does it have an auto-calibration system? Did you run it?

Cheers, Feri

post #14 of 17 Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

What AVR do you have? Does it have an auto-calibration system? Did you run it?
Its the onkyo tx sr308. It does not have any auto calib setups
post #15 of 17 Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its the onkyo tx sr308. It does not have any auto calib setups

I see. Well, in that case you will still need to setup your system as outlined in the Manual of the Onkyo TX-SR308 starting from page 30. (Just looked it up for you!) The two most important things you need to do are:

1. Speaker distance setting. You will need measuring tape to enter the values manually.
2. Speaker level setting. You will need to buy/borrow a sound level meter and use the built-in test tones to calibrate your speakers' levels.

When done you can set the global crossover to 80 Hz and listen. And if you like it you can call it a day. If not, come back for more assistance. smile.gif

Hope I could help. smile.gif

Cheers, Feri

post #16 of 17 Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 229
mogorf is spot on with advice, i would add if you have a smart phone try a free spl app if you can't borrow one, no need to spend $40 ish for one time use.

It will get you very close to a dedicated meter, and more important you will have same relative spl from each channel then at your MLP, master listening position.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #17 of 17 Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12
Isn't the mic on a smart phone very directional? Would laying it on its back give a good pattren?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page