L/R Speaker Set Up Around Fireplace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Haven't seen too many threads on this, so I'll ask. we're building out a new room with a fireplace as the focal point on the main wall. The new 55" TV will be going to the right of it. It won't be crammed into the corner, but it's definitely right of center. I know that the optimal LR speaker placement will be having two speakers immediately on either side of the TV, but I don't think that set up will work great. Instead, i was thinking of putting the R speaker where you'd normally put it (on ear level height close to the TV) and the L speaker travel 4 ft to the left on the other side of the fireplace. We'll listen to a lot of music through the system and I don't think having two speakers around the TV would fill the room up well and I'm thinking that I can control any audio discrepancy with slight adjustments to the delay settings. Has anyone set up something similar? Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Like this? If I use the fireplace, which I haven't in a while, I'd just move the left speaker.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yes, sort of like that, but we've got built ins on either side of the fireplace, so one speaker will be totally on the left side of the FP and the other will be on the RT side of the TV. Did you have to adjust the sound at all with that set up or is it coming out fine?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Well - I have almost same situtation, and even started a thread on "fixing" it.
Due to busy with "life" othert still listening with speaker off centered to TV....and I'm ok with that for family room usage.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391600/possible-to-make-new-cabinets-for-my-at350s-drivers-for-placement-issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Background:

I Bought my Atlantic Technology 5.1 Sys 350 in 2000 for my "old home" family room HT, it worked well there. These are circa around 1996 design...

When we moved into the new home May-2002, their placement was compromised due to corner location, fireplace stonework, etc.

I accepted it.

You can see here, the RH is way on the other side of the 2005 42" HDTV.

(main HT is basement, so this is 5.1 for casual watching/general sound for parties/etc)

That "old" 2005 HDTV, 42", is a space hog - width/height and depth (14" slim), I've done some measurements and appears 45-47" thin surround bezel HDTV could fit into it place, AND I could put the RH/LH in their "proper" location next to the image...here's the catch.

I would need speakers with less depth to make it all work.

Options:

a) Buy new/used thinner RH/LH mains, hopefully tonal match close to existing Center and surrounds, current/recent Atlantic Technology 's

b) Use existing drivers/crossover, make new cabinets thinner/taller.

Key is I angled the R/L and Center toward a MLP, ran audyssey to set distance/levels, and it sounds decent.

Good luck, not everything can be perfect/ideal, some compromises are needed.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Connolly View Post

Yes, sort of like that, but we've got built ins on either side of the fireplace, so one speaker will be totally on the left side of the FP and the other will be on the RT side of the TV. Did you have to adjust the sound at all with that set up or is it coming out fine?

I just ran Audyssey when putting this particular speaker set in place; didn't even bother without (in past setups with other speakers in that room I've tried without room correction, both MCACC and Audyssey, but much better with) I've been thinking about moving the one over to the left of the fireplace, and using the fireplace but it's warmed up lately so no need......and besides, I'd have to rerun Audyssey and that's soooo much work wink.gif

Your speakers are going in-wall? I'd hate to lose speaker position adjustment....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 PM

Liked: 13
I have a similar setup. I was more concerned about sound quality when on the couch, so it was set up with everything on one side of the fireplace. Even if the speaker was on the other side of the fireplace I don't think this would have helped sound in the rest of the room. You're not going to get great imaging throughout such a large area, but it does a pretty good job of filling the attached kitchen and dining room with sound.