Building a new home, wiring help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am building a new home and in two weeks I have a meeting with the electrical team to decide what I need. The theater room is on the second floor and comes 5.1 wired. At first I was wanting to change it to 7.1 but after reading up on it the 5.1 will work well for the size room I will have. I'm going to throw in a couple hdmi ports and 4x electrical outlets in the theater room and think I'm all covered there.

The rest of the home is where I need some advice. My focus isn't wiring the entire home but I don't want to regret not taking care of it now while the home is being built.

Here are the other rooms I would like wired for sound, I'm guessing just run cat-52 cable for the other rooms:

1) Game room
2) Sunroom
3) Family room
4) Master bathroom
5) Patio

My first question is what do I need to plan for with this end goal in mind? Is it pretty standard for builders to understand how to wire the rooms I want or are there some other decisions I need to make besides speaker placement in each room? I don't want to be asked questions on the spot and not know what I want.

My second question is what receiver should I plan on getting to handle everything.

The surround sound system I am using in the theater room is the Energy 5.1 Take Classic. I would like to have 5 hdmi inputs in the receiver and my current one only has 4. It isn't a big deal if I don't need a new receiver to handle everything else. Do I really need a fancy receiver with this basic surround sound system?

My receiver will need to handle:

1) Wiring through whole house
2) 4 or 5 HDMI - xbox, cable, epson 3020 or 5020 projector, computer, spare for laptop/whatever
3) Energy 5.1 surround sound system

If I can get any advice on things to look out for or plan for when building the home from scratch it would be appreciated. It is a one time deal and I want to take advantage of the opportunity.

Thanks,

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberling View Post

I am building a new home and in two weeks I have a meeting with the electrical team to decide what I need. The theater room is on the second floor and comes 5.1 wired. At first I was wanting to change it to 7.1 but after reading up on it the 5.1 will work well for the size room I will have. I'm going to throw in a couple hdmi ports and 4x electrical outlets in the theater room and think I'm all covered there.

The rest of the home is where I need some advice. My focus isn't wiring the entire home but I don't want to regret not taking care of it now while the home is being built.

Here are the other rooms I would like wired for sound, I'm guessing just run cat-52 cable for the other rooms:

1) Game room
2) Sunroom
3) Family room
4) Master bathroom
5) Patio

My first question is what do I need to plan for with this end goal in mind? Is it pretty standard for builders to understand how to wire the rooms I want or are there some other decisions I need to make besides speaker placement in each room? I don't want to be asked questions on the spot and not know what I want.

My second question is what receiver should I plan on getting to handle everything.

Here's a great way to save yourself a ton of money:

Buy a few Sansa Fuze digital players and loan one to everybody who wants to listen to music throughout the house.

I see a lot more good coming out of wiring every room for a LAN than for speaker cables..

When I added/rebuilt my house I couldn't make up my mind so I had the new/reworked areas wired with this:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/structured-wiring/SCP-HNC-2.aspx

Other options:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/structured-wiring/multimedia.aspx
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I did a little research and it looks like I may need to replace my receiver eventually.

For right now I will just be using my current receiver to run my 5.1 energy system. Eventually I would like to set it up so that I have 2 zones, theater room and the rest of the house. I am okay with all speakers playing the same thing outside of my theater room as long as the volume can be adjusted on all of them individually.

Short Term Goal:

1) choosing the correct wire to wire the home with
2) building theater room with the energy surround sound and current receiver

Long Term Goal:

1) Adding 7 speakers throughout the house to a second zone

Are there any suggestions on a receiver/amp set up and speaker recommendations that I could control volume with in each room? I am assuming I will need a whole new receiver and probably an amp as well but if I can avoid it by getting a nice enough receiver I will.

Sorry if it seems like I'm asking the same questions over again. My knowledge is limited and I'm sure after this entire process of building the theater room I will know a lot more. I just want to make sure I don't make mistakes in the early stages since I won't be able to take some of these choices back cheaply.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I found this and it is making sense to me and kind of goes along with what I was expecting. Down the road maybe I can get a new amp and receiver and build something along the lines of this illustration. Anyone have any comments on going this route or alternatives for a similar set up?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by coberling View Post

1) Game room
2) Sunroom
3) Family room
4) Master bathroom
5) Patio

The surround sound system I am using in the theater room is the Energy 5.1 Take Classic. I would like to have 5 hdmi inputs in the receiver and my current one only has 4. It isn't a big deal if I don't need a new receiver to handle everything else. Do I really need a fancy receiver with this basic surround sound system?

My receiver will need to handle:

1) Wiring through whole house
2) 4 or 5 HDMI - xbox, cable, epson 3020 or 5020 projector, computer, spare for laptop/whatever
3) Energy 5.1 surround sound system

If I can get any advice on things to look out for or plan for when building the home from scratch it would be appreciated. It is a one time deal and I want to take advantage of the opportunity.

Thanks,

-Chris

You're better off asking these questions here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/36/home-a-v-distribution
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat