So apparently my room sucks, am I reading REW correct? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i did a bunch of measurements with REW today and it looks like I have the worst room in the world based on the waterfall graph. I hope its my mic or something I have setup wrong. I didn't get the recommended mic I have a Samson USB condenser mic, I have a decent amount of wall treatments too. Help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Not at all. The problem is that the waterfall parameters are not set right which is causing it to show a bunch of noise you are perhaps mistaking for time domain ringing. You can click on the first link for the gory details of why: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awhatsbestforum.com+amirm+time+frequency&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS374US375&oq=site%3Awhatsbestforum.com+amirm+time+frequency&aqs=chrome.0.57j58.9599&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But quickly, you need to change the vertical range to start around 40 to 50 db. You have it set at 10 db right now which exposes the background noise in your room.

I see that you have Audyssey on. Surprising that it did not take that peak down at around 25 Hz. What did it look like without EQ? Please post the frequency response and not waterfall for that. And do not apply any filtering.

Also, do you mind if you centralize REW measurements to this thread? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458102/rew-check-my-measurements. Will avoid repeating the same answer in multiple places smile.gif.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Not at all. The problem is that the waterfall parameters are not set right which is causing it to show a bunch of noise you are perhaps mistaking for time domain ringing. You can click on the first link for the gory details of why: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awhatsbestforum.com+amirm+time+frequency&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS374US375&oq=site%3Awhatsbestforum.com+amirm+time+frequency&aqs=chrome.0.57j58.9599&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But quickly, you need to change the vertical range to start around 40 to 50 db. You have it set at 10 db right now which exposes the background noise in your room.

I see that you have Audyssey on. Surprising that it did not take that peak down at around 25 Hz. What did it look like without EQ? Please post the frequency response and not waterfall for that. And do not apply any filtering.

Also, do you mind if you centralize REW measurements to this thread? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458102/rew-check-my-measurements. Will avoid repeating the same answer in multiple places smile.gif.

Ok Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

it looks like I have the worst room in the world based on the waterfall graph.

As Amir said, your graph settings are not useful. This article explains how to use REW, and also how best to set the dB ranges for each graph type:

Room Measuring Primer

I'll also mention that most rooms benefit greatly from bass traps and other acoustic treatment, and you don't usually need a waterfall graph to know that. biggrin.gif

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

As Amir said, your graph settings are not useful. This article explains how to use REW, and also how best to set the dB ranges for each graph type:

Room Measuring Primer

I'll also mention that most rooms benefit greatly from bass traps and other acoustic treatment, and you don't usually need a waterfall graph to know that. biggrin.gif

--Ethan

Yes, I actually just posted my initital measurements in the proper forum now, that link you sent helped thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post

Yes, I actually just posted my initital measurements in the proper forum now, that link you sent helped thanks.

it's easier when asking for analysis or interpretation to simply upload the file itself (www.sendspace.com) so anyone offering assistance can automatically adjust the window settings or view from any particular perspective required.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 View Post

it's easier when asking for analysis or interpretation to simply upload the file itself (www.sendspace.com) so anyone offering assistance can automatically adjust the window settings or view from any particular perspective required.

Yes, I agree. It typically isn't too much trouble to load it and change the views (plus we might see something that wasn't shown in the waterfall or whatever you were meaning to display in the first place). cool.gif

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page