Calibrating 5.0 surround sound with spl meter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I try the HK 2600 auto setup but the channel sound off i mostly hear the sound coming from front right and can't seem to make them stay balance so i'm going get a spl meter and calibrate to 75db just need to know how to do it excatly?I hear turning your AVR to 0db well that 90 volume level on mine just wanna make sure i got everything right before i start.I'm going use Independence day dvd thx opt since that the only movie i have with thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post

i'm going get a spl meter and calibrate to 75db just need to know how to do it excatly?

Most people use a calibration DVD such as DVD Essentials. Its not feasible to use a movie or music to calibrate speaker levels! The quote below is from my Audio Expert book. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll be glad to mail to the pink noise file mentioned in the text.

--Ethan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Audio Expert 
REW is great for measuring the response of loudspeakers in a room, but pink noise is simpler and even better for balancing speaker levels. One problem with sine waves is that a small change in microphone placement can give a very large volume change at a given frequency, so moving the mic even an inch or two will affect the reading. However, band-limited pink noise is even better than broadband noise, because it reduces further the change in level versus position by removing the influence of very low and very high frequencies. For your convenience, I created the "pink_noise-400-2000 Hz.wav" file, available on the website for this book. This file contains pink noise, but with frequencies below 400 Hz and above 2 KHz filtered out at 6 dB per octave. For completeness, the file "pink_noise.wav" containing normal pink noise is also available, and both of these files can be looped to play seamlessly for as long as needed. The difference between pink noise and white noise was explained in Chapter 1.

In an ideal surround setup, the listening position will be on-axis for all speakers. In other words, all of the speakers should point directly at your head where you sit. But some people can't do that for whatever reason, and some people have different speaker models for the front and surround speakers. The largest response variations that occur when off-axis or when using different model speakers are at high frequencies. Low frequencies are also highly positional, and moving the measuring microphone even a few inches can change the measured volume a lot when using static tones. So by using noise and omitting high and low frequencies in the noise, leaving only the midrange, SPL meter readings are affected much less by differences in each speaker's low- and high-end response. That is, you're balancing the volume level as it will be heard, with less influence from response differences of the speakers and their placement.

To calibrate loudspeaker volume in a stereo or surround system, you'll send the same signal to each speaker one at a time and adjust each channel’s volume control for the same reading on the SPL meter. Most consumer receivers have a Setup mode to adjust the volume for each speaker, as well as compensate for its distance from your ears, as mentioned in the Surround Monitoring section of Chapter 17. If you don’t have an SPL meter, an omnidirectional microphone plugged into any device that has a record level VU meter works just as well. Again, the SPL meter or microphone should be placed where you sit while listening, pointed straight up to avoid favoring any one speaker.

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Been reading people talk about putting db to 0 on the avr but that = 90 for me.I'm really bad at it try using the hk pink noise but just can't figure out excatly what i'm doing.Just wanna say this the meter i got at the moment http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12680845#
post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure if it my avr or not but right is still over power the left try switching them and everything noting the only other thing i could think of is dropping it down a little the right one and that seem to fix it going calll hk tommorrow and see if i can get some kind of help from them if not just going order a new avr soon then.

UDATE

I have try switching speaker wires no change move the loud speaker to the left side no change it's like my left channel is always lower then right and also notice my avr fan is not working thinking of just rmaing this thing back.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

I try the HK 2600 auto setup but the channel sound off i mostly hear the sound coming from front right and can't seem to make them stay balance so i'm going get a spl meter and calibrate to 75db just need to know how to do it excatly?I hear turning your AVR to 0db well that 90 volume level on mine just wanna make sure i got everything right before i start.I'm going use Independence day dvd thx opt since that the only movie i have with thx.

check out manual speaker setup on page 36 of your owners manual. it does have test tones.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstew100 View Post

check out manual speaker setup on page 36 of your owners manual. it does have test tones.

That's what i been using the test tones on AVR no go on it still stays mostly either right or left.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

That's what i been using the test tones on AVR no go on it still stays mostly either right or left.

Are you looking at page 39 of your manual?

The manual clearly claims to be able to play the test tones on all channels. Even my 10 year old receiver can do that and certainly my new one does. Is your speaker layout / number of speakers set up correctly? It doesn't say you need to do this but perhaps make sure the last thing played was a 5.1 source too so that the AVR's listening mode isn't a 2 channel mode.

If it won't play test tones and it's not user error then it's defective IMO. The free REW has a test tone generator if you can hook up through HDMI from your puter. Also the test DVD's have them too.

Personally I suspect there's a setting somewhere getting in the way. I'd start at page 36 and follow the procedure.

Note I don't have that AVR, just dug up the manual because I couldn't believe the test tones were not included. They are in there.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

When you play a 5.1 source is there sound from each channel?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When you play a 5.1 source is there sound from each channel?

Yes there sound form all channel and also i moved the speaker from right to left and getting the same effect i thought at first it was fix but seems like the speaker doing it again
post #11 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Seems like it fixed just did -27 db on my avr and went to the test tones and click on my spl meter and set it to max and started turning the db on each speaker till it got to 75db then move on and so on and now the fronts+ surrounds sound so much better the front stage is now crisp sounding like i went and brought new speakers thanks all that help me get it here truly thanks.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

schweet, happy to help
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page