Home Theater Advice for New Apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently moved into my own place in NYC and have started the process of assembling a home theater for television, movies, and music. I want a nice system that is versatile (I'm renting so I may not be in the same place next year) and great value. I'm willing to spend up to $4,000 for the receiver and speakers but want to get others thoughts on whether I should invest this much in a system for an apartment space that is not ideal and subject to change. Here is the list of my current components:

Television: Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Media Center: BDI Avion Series II
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-103

The receiver I'm thinking of buying is the Marantz SR7007. I have no experience in speakers and that's where I'm looking for most suggestions. I'd say the split between TV/Movies and Music will almost be 50/50. Music listening will be for when I have guests over or if I'm working from home. I'm questioning whether I should get a sub as this is NYC and I don't want to annoy my neighbors -- anyone face a similar predicament? I've attached the general layout of my apartment and tried to make it to scale as much as possible. One thing to note -- I only have about 10.5 inches between the walls and my media center on each side for speakers.

Am I crazy to spend that much on a receiver/speaker combo given my situation? What speakers/receivers should I be looking for to help find the right system for me?

Apartment Layout.pdf 44k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Apartment Layout.pdf (43.5 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Wow, that is a really small apartment! eek.gif

I don't really have much input for you but you might get better response if you posted in the Receivers and Speakers subforums for recommendations on each separately.

If I was you, I'd spend no more than $1K on the receiver (make sure you do get Audyssey XT32, that Marantz only has XT) and put the rest into speakers. Look into Ascend Acoustics (Sierra Towers & Horizon Center - $2900), Aperion Audio (Verus Grand Towers & Center - $2800). Those are just a couple I was considering awhile back and get great reviews here on AVS, I'm sure if you head over to the Speakers subforum you'll get more recommendations.

Good luck!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page