Should I return my Onkyo TX-SR313? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using a 5.1 HTIB that came with a Yamaha HTR-6130 for the past few years. Recently I replaced my front 2 with klipsch icon 15's. I an attempt to reduce wires being run from my DVR, PS3, xbox 360, and HTPC I purchased a new Onkyo SR313 for $150. I'm also intrigued by the lossless formats also. I mainly watch blu-ray movies.

Unfortunately I didn't/don't know much if anything about surround sound and recently came across some posts about matching speakers being important. So out of curiosity I played with the receiver settings between small and no center channel. Long story short I found the sound to be much better without the center channel and I'm now wondering if a new matching center channel would net better results than the new receiver with the lossless formats?

Any suggestions or information / links would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

Well, the receiver came in and I guess I I found my answer (though my lack of knowledge could mean I'm wrong).

- The SR-313's 65W per channel may be a bit low because I can only get around 66 db max with the channels turned up all the way during the built in level calibration( speakers are 9 feet away from seating position). I was however, able to use my Digital Video essentials Blu-Ray audio test tones to calibrate to the normal level of 75db.

- The lossless dts-ma from the Dark Night Rises through my PS3 didn't sound much different than my previous setup.

So my personal (though uninformed) conclusion is the new receiver didn't provide a significant improvement in sound quality. I decided on keeping it because not having to use optical or coax cables for all of my equipment cleaned things up nicely in my living room cable wise and I dislike returning things, lo. I am saving up for the matching center channel now and then a new Sub depending on what my research on the two points should the better buy first.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 13
I wouldn't expect much of a difference from new receiver alone. A new center or sub would almost certainly make a bigger improvement in sound quality.

I started with a decent receiver and a pair of front speakers. I added the center channel first, and that made a big difference. I added the sub next and that made a bigger difference.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bean View Post

I wouldn't expect much of a difference from new receiver alone. A new center or sub would almost certainly make a bigger improvement in sound quality.

I started with a decent receiver and a pair of front speakers. I added the center channel first, and that made a big difference. I added the sub next and that made a bigger difference.

thanks for the reply. I am leaning more towards getting a new sub first since I'm not missing my center channel all that much yet and my current Sub came from a $300 5.1 HTIB which included the Yamaha receiver I just replaced with the Onkyo. I guess it's safe to assume it's not very good, lol.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr313 5 1 Channel Home Theater A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr313 by PriceGrabber.com