wiring surround sound new construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a house and I'm doing all the low voltage wiring. I've never wired surround sound before and I really don't know what I'm doing and can't find the info I need.

My question is this. I will have a structured panel that I'm home running all my wiring too. I want to have surround sound in another room and have all my audio/video equipment in the central room with my structured panel. I don't know what I'm suppose to do to wire the speakers.

Do I run speaker wire back to the central media room?

Do I run one type of some kind of wire from the central room that will feed them all?

Basically someone explain to me how to do this please and thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
you home-run the speaker wiring to the location of the a/v electronics where they will connect to the a/v receiver or amplifier. You will also need to insure all your low voltage "in-wall" wiring meets the National Electric Code (NEC) CL2 or CL3 requirements. Use at least 14 gauge speaker wiring, or 12 gauge if the wire lengths exceed the limits in this chart http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm#wiretable

speaker location guide http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

even if you don't think you will need it, run CAT5e cables from the structured panel to the home theater and other major rooms (an floors) of the house. While wireless Wi-Fi is popular, for a/v use you still can't beat a hard wired CAT5e or CAT6 connection.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I am running 2 rg6qs and 3 cat6 to each tv location/bedroom and office in the house. I just wasn't sure on the surround sound for the tv/game room upstairs.

Ok so if I'm running 7.1 then I'm going to run speaker wire to all 7 speaker locations and to the sub from my av room receiver to speaker location? does any speaker need something differen't than speaker wire (such as sub?)?

thanks again! Just want to get it right before drywall in a week or so.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Looks like you are running sufficient cabling to each location. When I wired my new addition, I kept the AC wiring as far away as possible from my Cat 5E wires, RG6, Speaker Wires and Cat 3 Phone Wires. When I had to cross the AC with the other cables, I did so at 90 degree angles. I don't know if that mattered, but I did it on the advice of others. As far as your sub, you can use speaker wire or 600 Ohm Shielded cable with RCA connectors. You did not specify the distance from your AV receiver to your sub, so maybe some one else here who knows more than me about what kind of cable would work best for your sub.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #5 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Would be about 30ft once I go down wall and up and over to the sub and probably about 45 ft to the back speakers.

All my wiring will be about 3 ft from electrical unless I have to cross the lines which are all at a 90 to it.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm wanting to just prewire at the moment for the speakers. I don't plan on buying them until later. So I'm needing to know before drywall goes up.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Suggestions:
-cut wires to length
-like posted, use proper in wall wiring, Parts Express has good selection, as well as monoprice

fwiw, I ended up buying a 500' roll of 14ga/4c for my original 7.1 set-up back in 2007 , when twisted together it's 11ga, some of my runs were really long so I went with that.
I also read running the 14/4 was a little easier than the 12/2 thru many twists/etc.

are you going to run the wire thru a box or just have a hole thru the drywall?
I used a box, that was at each speaker location.

This might help you in location for the wires.

This visual from my Denon 4520CI manual, makes it easier to grasp all the 7.1/9.1/11.1 speaker layout.
11.x%2520speaker%2520layout%2520via%2520Denon%2520Manual.JPG
post #8 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hoping some one will help you with your sub cable wiring. I always thought 600 ohm shielded coax was best for audio. Looking on line, seems everyone is using 75 ohm cable for audio. Having a hard time finding 600 ohm cable on line. You always want to match impedance. But what if you are using the high level input which requires speaker wire?

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #9 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

you home-run the speaker wiring to the location of the a/v electronics where they will connect to the a/v receiver or amplifier. You will also need to insure all your low voltage "in-wall" wiring meets the National Electric Code (NEC) CL2 or CL3 requirements. Use at least 14 gauge speaker wiring, or 12 gauge if the wire lengths exceed the limits in this chart http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm#wiretable

speaker location guide http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

even if you don't think you will need it, run CAT5e cables from the structured panel to the home theater and other major rooms (an floors) of the house. While wireless Wi-Fi is popular, for a/v use you still can't beat a hard wired CAT5e or CAT6 connection.

+1 with the addition that adding some RG-6 quad shielded CL-2 jacketed coax to the bundle can't hurt.

Wiring with the walls open is a dream. Once the dry wall is up adding wiring can be pretty painful. Wire and cable is cheap compared to the cost of installing it.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Hoping some one will help you with your sub cable wiring. I always thought 600 ohm shielded coax was best for audio. Looking on line, seems everyone is using 75 ohm cable for audio. Having a hard time finding 600 ohm cable on line. You always want to match impedance. But what if you are using the high level input which requires speaker wire?

Impedance matching is only significant if you are running RF, digital, or network wiring. It is irrelevant for speaker wiring and audio signals such as subwoofer wiring.

Regular coax is being used a lot for audio these days, partially because you can easily find RCA plug style compression fittings.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Impedance MATCHING is the way to insure maximum power transfer from amplifier to load.

It cannot work in audio, though, because the impedance of the speaker varies so much over the wide audio frequency range; you can't match a moving target.

The best solution is to have the amplifier output impedance much lower than the speaker impedance, which allows the voltage across the speaker to be as constant as possible as the frequencies vary.

Typical amplifier output impedances range from 0.2 to 2 ohms.; the lower the better.

The only place impedance matching is important in audio is for coaxial digital cables, which need to be 72 ohms. This is actually an RF connection for all practical purposes.

The capacitive reactance and inductive reactance of speaker wire is insignificant at audio frequencies; only the resistance needs to be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Impedance matching is only significant if you are running RF, digital, or network wiring. It is irrelevant for speaker wiring and audio signals such as subwoofer wiring.

Regular coax is being used a lot for audio these days, partially because you can easily find RCA plug style compression fittings.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I always thought 600 ohm shielded coax was best for audio.

I've never ever seen 600 Ohm coax cable, can you link to some?

we haven't impedance matched in audio interconnects in over 40 years.
Quote:
The only place impedance matching is important in audio is for coaxial digital cables, which need to be 72 ohms.

You post this often, and are often corrected. It's 75 Ohms.... but it doesn't seem to stick.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

we haven't impedance matched in audio interconnects in over 40 years.

I guess I'm getting old.eek.gif

post #14 of 14 Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

So I should run 12g speaker wire to all my speakers and run RG6 and put RCA connectors on each end for the subwoofer?
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat