Need help getting sound just right - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About two years ago, my father bought the Sony Bravia KDL-32BX320 LCD TV. My father is hard of hearing and turns the volume up kind of loud which travels through the house. Lately, the sound has been travelling through the door to his TV room on the 1st floor and up to bedroom on the 2nd floor. The sound that can be heard from the bedroom is faint, but audible. The sound is mostly of people talking. I'll point out that the bedroom is not even above his TV room, only the back garage attic is above his room. The sound must be travelling down a short hallway to the family room and then going up into the bedroom. The walls and floors are paper thin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the audio settings on the TV to reduce the sound from travelling through the house, while making it easier for my father to hear the TV? I've tried turning down the bass, which helps. I see there are many other options for sound, but I don't understand them and am tired of running back and forth to change and test the settings. There appears to be an equalizer setting and I'm sure tweaking that may be useful, but I have no idea what changes to make. There's also settings in the cable box setup, but I don't understand those either.

I did hook up a small stereo system to the TV and put the speakers beside his chair. That worked for nearly two years, but recently his TV or the stereo has been turned up really loud. It's really bad when he leaves the door to his room open. The sound manages to travel to the other end of the house and up the stairs.

Can anyone make suggestions with the info I supplied? Or just give me some suggestions that don't involve buying a hearing aid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Sure, one could alter the tone/EQ settings and perhaps achieve some marginal benefit. However, to truly affect the situation, the source needs to be closer to the listener.

Your Dad needs to experience more direct sound, and less reflected sound. The simplest manner to achieve this is sit closer, done. The speakers that come built in to TVs ... with a few exceptions, have poor directional characteristics and much of their energy excites the plastic enclosure body, .. thus making intelligibility and articulation even worse.

Ideally, get a pair of outboard powered speakers, and place them on each side of the TV. You could place them somewhat closer to him, but I'm guessing simply getting some modest speakers will help a lot over the built-ins.

Something like these would be fine. The TV will have connectivity options/variable line outs that will be adjusted via the normal volume control of the TV. You could try even cheaper computer speakers, but something like these would be better. Any big music retailers in your area will sell items like these. Small, active/powered desktop speakers. Places like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc, will have an assortment. The online sources like Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, Parts Express, Amazon will also have whatever you opt for. When looking online, these are found typically in the recording areas, under active monitors.

Other options would be incorporating some speaker/amps you already have. Also, if considering the cheapest route, cheap computer speakers, your local Frys or equivalent would suffice.

Get the source closer to the listener, the levels can be the same for the listener, yet reduced through the remainder of the house.

Best of luck.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu87 View Post

About two years ago, my father bought the Sony Bravia KDL-32BX320 LCD TV. My father is hard of hearing and turns the volume up kind of loud which travels through the house. Lately, the sound has been travelling through the door to his TV room on the 1st floor and up to bedroom on the 2nd floor. The sound that can be heard from the bedroom is faint, but audible. The sound is mostly of people talking. I'll point out that the bedroom is not even above his TV room, only the back garage attic is above his room. The sound must be travelling down a short hallway to the family room and then going up into the bedroom. The walls and floors are paper thin.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to change the audio settings on the TV to reduce the sound from travelling through the house, while making it easier for my father to hear the TV? I've tried turning down the bass, which helps. I see there are many other options for sound, but I don't understand them and am tired of running back and forth to change and test the settings. There appears to be an equalizer setting and I'm sure tweaking that may be useful, but I have no idea what changes to make. There's also settings in the cable box setup, but I don't understand those either.

I did hook up a small stereo system to the TV and put the speakers beside his chair. That worked for nearly two years, but recently his TV or the stereo has been turned up really loud. It's really bad when he leaves the door to his room open. The sound manages to travel to the other end of the house and up the stairs.

Can anyone make suggestions with the info I supplied? Or just give me some suggestions that don't involve buying a hearing aid.

One word: headphones. For maximum convenience, wireless headphones.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page