Need help picking speaker wire and terminations MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 67
so i need help deciding on what speaker wire to use and what type of terminations to use. I have MartinLogan Montis mains, the motif x center, and some little Motion 2's for rears. what should I be looking for in speaker wire? obviously don't want 18 or 20 gauge wire, but what about things like solid-core, oxygen free, silver plated, and things like that? I work for magnolia design center so I have access to audioquest wire but I'm not sure how good they are compared to other premium speaker cables. AQ also has their "star-quad" configuration and things of that nature, are they any type of improvement over standard wire or is it all just BS?

and does it make any kind of difference using banana, spade, or bare wire?

I probably need runs of about 15ft to the mains and center and 25 for the rears, though the rears can probably just use the cheapest 14gauge AQ X2. I'm working with a budget of around $200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
There is a lot of BS out there about speaker cables. Sometimes there is science behind the claims, sometimes not. Even when there is a scientific basis, the improvements over simple speaker cable of adequate gauge tends to be inaudible. Those things you mentioned normally won't produce a cable that is audibly better in your system than zip cord from your local home improvement store. Just avoid copper clad aluminum "speaker wire". 14 AWG should be sufficient for most speakers at those lengths

The kicker, however, is that your speakers have electrostatic elements and have very low impedance at high frequencies. I can only guess at how that affects the choice of speaker cables. Normally, lower impedance means larger gauge for the same length. You may need 12 AWG or larger. Hopefully, someone with similar speakers will chime in. What does Martin Logan recommend?

The best termination is the simplest one that works. That is usually bare wire for a 5-way binding post. The wire can be tinned if you want so you don't have loose strands. Spades are fine if they are properly crimped, soldered or welded, and they are better than bare wire if the connection is a barrier strip. If you use banana plugs, the locking kind usually produce a better connection with the jack than the others. It really doesn't amount to a hill of beans what you choose as long as you have a good connection.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
The first part of this might be helpful to you.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

You may need 12 AWG or larger. Hopefully, someone with similar speakers will chime in. What does Martin Logan recommend?

The best termination is the simplest one that works. That is usually bare wire for a 5-way binding post. The wire can be tinned if you want so you don't have loose strands. Spades are fine if they are properly crimped, soldered or welded, and they are better than bare wire if the connection is a barrier strip. If you use banana plugs, the locking kind usually produce a better connection with the jack than the others. It really doesn't amount to a hill of beans what you choose as long as you have a good connection.

MartinLogan doesn't say what speaker wire they recommend, they just say to ask your dealer.

i'm thinking I may just use AQ's 14 gauge X2 with banana to spade terminations since it seems to be decently high quality speaker wire and i can get their products at approximately 25% of retail... unless anyone has any reason I should look elsewhere?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
http://anticables.com/
I use this and am very pleased...smile.gif...as far as surrounds are...yes any decent cable will work fine as they are just for ambiance...but what it all boils down too it what you want and what you can afford...smile.gif...happy listening.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is a link to conversation about the anti cable Bislander...he is asking about cables and I recommended one...if he wants to join in the thread I'm sure he will find it...smile.gif

Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a lengthy discussion about the cables you are recommending. It seems like useful information for the OP.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I personally use MonoPrice speaker wire w/ their banana plugs. I used to buy Monster and AudioQuest stuff but in the end science won over and ever since than I have been saving a lot of money smile.gif

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Liked: 19
You have also been saving yourself from having the best sound possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I personally use MonoPrice speaker wire w/ their banana plugs. I used to buy Monster and AudioQuest stuff but in the end science won over and ever since than I have been saving a lot of money smile.gif

Be the sage.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Skubinski View Post

couldn't tell a difference in a blind tests in my room biggrin.gif Plus the saved money allowed me to buy some nice speaker stands:)

(I used a clip from the film Sunshine which I am very familiar with. According to my counter I've played that exact scene over 452 times in 2012. Love the scene lol)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:

I don't see how that's possible when "zipcord" speaker wire sound as good as it gets for our ears.
Gizmologist likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomania View Post

I don't see how that's possible when "zipcord" speaker wire sound as good as it gets for our ears.
Speak for yourself...not everyone...smile.gif

Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

started reading it and got bored from the childish name calling and whatnot. is there any reason not to get audioquest x2 or type-4 if they are around $0.50 and $2.33 per foot, respectively?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

http://anticables.com/
I use this and am very pleased...smile.gif

Usually putting a smiley after a comment indicates that it is a joke.

It that your intent here?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Please recommend what one needs to do to obtain "the best sound possible".
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

started reading it and got bored from the childish name calling and whatnot. is there any reason not to get audioquest x2 or type-4 if they are around $0.50 and $2.33 per foot, respectively?
Not at all...if the audio quest is cheap for you since you work at best buy go for it...smile.gif...I'm sure you will be happy with them

Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

That's an unfortunate consequence of asking about speaker wire in most forums. The science says any properly constructed 12 or 14 gauge wire will work the same. So, there's no need to spend lots on wire. You can get perfectly fine spools for $.25 a foot at place like monoprice. But, if you get comfort from a name like Audioquest at $.50 a foot, go for it. Spending $2.33 seems pretty wasteful to me, though. But, I'm sure that wire will work, too.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so i need help deciding on what speaker wire to use and what type of terminations to use. I have MartinLogan Montis mains, the motif x center, and some little Motion 2's for rears. what should I be looking for in speaker wire? obviously don't want 18 or 20 gauge wire, but what about things like solid-core, oxygen free, silver plated, and things like that? I work for magnolia design center so I have access to audioquest wire but I'm not sure how good they are compared to other premium speaker cables. AQ also has their "star-quad" configuration and things of that nature, are they any type of improvement over standard wire or is it all just BS?

and does it make any kind of difference using banana, spade, or bare wire?

I probably need runs of about 15ft to the mains and center and 25 for the rears, though the rears can probably just use the cheapest 14gauge AQ X2. I'm working with a budget of around $200

My sources indicate that your speakers are very atypical in that they have very low impedance at the upper end of the audio band - perhaps much less than an ohm.

The usually recommended 12 gauge zip cord has an approximate reactance of 0.23-0.24 uHy per foot per numerous sources.

Its series impedance at 20 KHz is about 0.030 ohms per foot, which leads to up to 3 dB loss @ 20 KHz for a 20' speaker cable and proportionately different for other lengths. This could be marginally audible.

Using a coaxial cable (e.g. RG8 with a solid copper center conductor and shield or Belden 8213) could cut that loss to less than half.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/8213.pdf

Another Belden cable with low loss can be purchased by the foot here:

http://www.rfparts.com/old_site/coax.html#2l2590

Belden RG 213/U commercial spec YR41156 (stranded for flexibility ) and about a buck a foot.

Paralleled runs of Belden 8213 or RG 213U would further reduce the losses. Some sources recommend doubling up the 8213 and cross-connecting the inner and braid connectors.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's an unfortunate consequence of asking about speaker wire in most forums. The science says any properly constructed 12 or 14 gauge wire will work the same. So, there's no need to spend lots on wire. You can get perfectly fine spools for $.25 a foot at place like monoprice. But, if you get comfort from a name like Audioquest at $.50 a foot, go for it. Spending $2.33 seems pretty wasteful to me, though. But, I'm sure that wire will work, too.
Pretty much any wire will work in a speaker system...no need at all to spend a lot...stay within your comfort zone and spend what you think you should...you work for bestbuy so the discount matters here...youll be fine no matter what you choose...happy listening!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Pretty much any wire will work in a speaker system...no need at all to spend a lot...stay within your comfort zone and spend what you think you should...you work for bestbuy so the discount matters here...youll be fine no matter what you choose...happy listening!

I guess you didn't give much credibility to post 19. It turns out that the OPs speaker are very atypical, and most speaker cable including your fave Anticable could actually change the sound of his speakers.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Did I break a forum rule or something?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I guess you didn't give much credibility to post 19. It turns out that the OPs speaker are very atypical, and most speaker cable including your fave Anticable could actually change the sound of his speakers.
He is just looking for decent wire for his speakers...if he chooses the solid core anticable that will be up to him...smile.gif

Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did I break a forum rule or something?
Common...you stated zip cord is as good as it gets to OUR ears...as in everyone...not just yourself...smile.gif

Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Common...you stated zip cord is as good as it gets to OUR ears...as in everyone...not just yourself...smile.gif
Did I or did I not break a forum rule?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did I or did I not break a forum rule?
I don't see where I said you did

Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

He is just looking for decent wire for his speakers...if he chooses the solid core anticable that will be up to him...smile.gif

Non-answer. Seems to go with the non-questions that you are apparently looking to me for answers to.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I don't see where I said you did
I didn't know what you were thinking so I asked. Simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed.

Anyway, then prompted you to tell me who to or not to speak for?
Quote:

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't know what you were thinking so I asked. Simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed.

Anyway, then prompted you to tell me who to or not to speak for?
Right...of course you didn't break a rule...and your post referenced everyone in post 12...and I said speak for yourself.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:

and your post referenced everyone in post 12...and I said speak for yourself.
You are telling me who to speak for and who not to. What are you, a forum moderator?