Help!!! Have some questions regarding HDMI receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Over the years I have gotten a wealth of knowledge from this forum regarding TV's, Blu-Ray, Speakers, Receivers, etc..... Thanks! Typically I can search around and find my answers. But, I have a few specific questions and would like to post them all in one thread. Let me give you an idea of what I have. Last week I purchased the Onkyo TX-NR515. I have a bunch of HDMI outputs and really wanted to upgrade for 2 reasons - 7.1 surround sound and Tru HD audio on Blu Ray. Here is my current setup.

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR515
L & R Mains - JBL Venue Stadiums 8-Inch 3-Way Speakers
Center - Polk RM 5000 ( I am going to upgrade to JBL studio 120c this week or next - Seems to be the best matching center for the $$$)
Surround Rear - Polk RM 5000 (looking to upgrade this in spring to JBL's)
Surround High - Polk Audio Atrium indoor / outdoor speakers (mounted in ceiling)
Subwoofer - Accoustic Research S112PS ( I have been pretty happy with this garage sale find!)
TV - 60" Panasonic ST30 Plasma

ok.... so below are some of my questions.

Should I run HDMI from my dishnetwork satelitte box into the receiver? I was thinking of just running optical from the receiver and letting the TV do the upscaling. I assume my TV could do that better than the Onkyo? Also, I dont like the fact that I must have the surround sound on all the time to watch TV.

So.... is there an advantage to running HDMI over optical for satellite, other than not have to switch inputs at the TV? I planned on keeping HDMI hooked up through the receiver for Blu-Ray as I believe thats the only way to get tru hd audio.

Also, What exactly is HDMI pass through? Does this feature allow you to pass audio signal via HDMI but allow the TV to do the upscaling?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I run optical from my directv to my AVR for exactly the reason
You stated. Don't want to have AVR on every time I watch TV.

No dis-advantage there.

You are correct to have your blu-ray hooked to AVR via HDMI
For hi-def codecs.

Not sure about pass through...sorry.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.... Do you know what mode I would put the receiver in to do this? On my old Yamaha receiver I just switched over to TV mode. I am not quite sure on this Onkyo.

Also, can you get Tru HD audio via satellite? Not that big of a deal for me since I mainly watch history channel! But it would be nice while watching my sports.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 53
First is the Dish network box HD. I guess it must to have an HDMI out put. Run the HDMI to the 515 and set up the HDMI through on page 62 of manual. everything you need for the audio set up is on pages 61to 64. Pages 34 to 36 have the instructions for automatic speaker setup using Audyssey 2EQ and pages 52 to 57 has the rest. I have the same 515. I have it set up for the HDMI through and if I do not want to use surround I just don't turn on. I well also pass the audio through to the set when its on. As for upscaling the video that I get with it on is 1080P, it looks good and off what DirecTV is putting 1080i or 720P. the true HD audio or loss/less is only from the blue ray player or on pay per view with DirecTV, I don't know what Dish does but I would not be surprised if its the same.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Cool....thank you. I wasn't sure if the receiver had to be on even when using the HDMI pass through. It sounds like I can just keep it off and listen to the audio through my TV.

Do I need to run a optical audio cable so when I DO want to run satellite through the receiver (for sporting events and movies on TV)? Also, what mode do you have the receiver on when doing this?

Thanks again!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Thats right, you can keep it off and get audio and video pass through. Just follow the set up instructions. I don't know what I was thinking, but the HD pay per view is 1080P but its 5.1 not the loss/less. You do not need to have an optical cable to the receiver the audio is carried by the HDMI cable into and out of the receiver. The HDMI from the satellite tuner plugs into #2 input and if you have a blue ray that plugs into #1, that matches the buttons on the remote. If your set does not have an audio return channel then you my want to use an optical cable or a digital coax from the TV to the receiver for when you use off air and want to run audio through the surround system. The 515 as 2 assignable inputs for each type. Glad to help
post #7 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Perfect....thanks!

I am going to set this up that way tomorrow.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
One caveat. HDMI standby pass through requires that CEC be engaged on your TV and AVR. It can be a bit flaky at times, especially with set top boxes that don't have HDMI CEC.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

My system needed CEC off on the TV and what Onkyo calls HDMI control (RIHD) set to ON, that puts the HDMI through in auto. Thats what worked for me. The DirectV DVR in this case does not have a CEC setting.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page