Speaker distance, level settings with 2 devices. help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Cambridge 650R receiver and the Cambridge 751BD blu-ray player. . . The receiver has speaker distance & level calcs on it but so does the 751BD blu-ray player.

If I set the received first then the imaging, levels etc sound good for TV, PS3 etc . But the blu-ray must have slightly different balancing as material that comes from that if I leave all levels at default in the blu-ray player are out. I.e surrounds volumes.
What I have done is then made additional changes in the blu-ray player to levels for speakers to make them correct for movies, music etc when I play things from that source through the AVR and not just from the AVR such as TV and PS3.

But what about distance calculations?
Do I do distance cals at the receiver only or enter in the same distances on the blu-ray player or would that be doubling the distance?

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
We had conversations before on the CA.smile.gif

If you use analogue you need to set everything in the player. Speaker settings in player ONLY apply if you use analogue outputs, and receiver WILL NOT apply it's own speaker adjustments for analogue inputs unless there is an option to re-digitise analogue. That's why the BDP sounds off balance to you.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.

Sorry I must have understood wrong on the phone.. I thought I should put the distance calculations back to '0' on the player and have the distance enetered into the receiver only. But make level adjustments on the player as well (-dB) if necessary on top of what levels I have calibrated in the receiver for use of TV, PS3, etc. That way the receiver has the distance therefore time delays set and the player just passes audio signals into it that the receiver then delays.

I run 5.1 analogue audio via RCA out of player into receiver
video is HDMI from player into receiver
5.1 then run from the pre-outs of the receiver. 5 to Emotiva XPA-5, .1 to the sub.
HDMI video out from receiver then to TV. Only video.

If you could clarify that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Emm, whoever you talked to on the phone wasn't me! biggrin.gif

The "7.1 Direct" inputs are pure analogue, meaning it bypasses all digital processing (manual p.12). So whatever you set in the receiver's speaker settings would not apply. Speaker delay (distance) works in digital (said so in manual p. 15). This is how most receivers work.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I will set the distances on the BD player then to ensure it's all time aligned right.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page