Question on using preamp outs for amplifier - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing an Emotiva XPA-5. This would be the first time I purchased an amp so I am not too familiar how the setup works.

Will using the preamp outs of my AVR nix the crossover? Mine is set for 100Hz. Does using preamp outs mean that all frequencies will still not go to all speakers? Or will frequencies lower than 100Hz still be sent to powered sub and frequencies higher than 100Hz be sent to the remaining 5 speakers? I would not want use an amp if my AVR crossover gets bypassed by using pre outs as I would not want all that bass going to all my speakers.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Adding a dedicated amplifier is the primary purpose of the pre-amplifer outputs. All of the processing, preamplification, and effects have been done, and you have one last chance to grab the signal before it enters the amplifier circuitry and becomes speaker level. Your crossover settings, room correction, etc. etc. etc. will all still be in place.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks JD.

So a follow up question to you or anyone out of curiosity sake.....

From what I've read in this forum is that the watt outputs for an AVR is based on 2 speakers only. I have an old Pioneer (still runs great) VSX-1015tx that "supposedly" puts out 120wpc "continuous". Is that really true? If I am using 5 channels I assume the wpc is much less. If I only use 2 channels am I really getting 120wpc. The manual says continuous so I assume that's not peak. Any guess as to how many wpc I am really getting on 2 channels?

I ask because I see a lot of debate here about amps vs no amp, so wondering if getting a 200wpc will really make a difference.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 425
From the manufacturers page on your AVR:

So, you're getting 120wpc no matter if your using 2 channels or 7 - according to Pioneer at least.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
Old 02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Of course, that 'continuous' rating is nothing like what you'll actually be using during the vast majority of music or movie listening. Most of the time it will likely be putting out one wpc or less, but that will quickly grow with dynamic peaks.

What about 200 wpc vs. 120 wpc? Assuming those numbers are taken at the same THD level (seems unlikely, that .2 Alan posted is kinda high for ratings of this sort), it equates to a maximum volume difference of less than three decibels at one meter from the speaker. It gives you a little bit more capacity to avoid distortion when the cannon goes off during 1812, or during massive explosions on a movie soundtrack.

In almost all cases, the best upgrade you can make to your system is better, flatter, more sensitive speakers, or more subwoofers.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by efy007 View Post

Thanks JD.

So a follow up question to you or anyone out of curiosity sake.....

From what I've read in this forum is that the watt outputs for an AVR is based on 2 speakers only. I have an old Pioneer (still runs great) VSX-1015tx that "supposedly" puts out 120wpc "continuous". Is that really true? If I am using 5 channels I assume the wpc is much less. If I only use 2 channels am I really getting 120wpc. The manual says continuous so I assume that's not peak. Any guess as to how many wpc I am really getting on 2 channels?

2-channel continuous power is often called FTC power and accuracy of that number is dictated by US law which is on occasion enforced. Large fines can be levied.
Quote:
I ask because I see a lot of debate here about amps vs no amp, so wondering if getting a 200wpc will really make a difference.

Virtually every AVR and most of the power amps that are sold to purportedly upgrade AVRs fall within a +/- 3 dB power range or from 50 to 200 watts. 3 dB is somewhat audible, but no big thing. It takes 10 times the power to create the impression of "twice as loud". That means that your first upgrade power amp needs to be about 1 KW per channel or more. This is not mission impossible if you look to the professional audio world for your power amp. Pro audio power amps are generally as clean as consumer amps so that isn't a proble. More of a problem is finding speakers to handle that kind of power. Again the professional audio world has speakers that can take that kind of power, but they are costly and can be very large. It is a very unfamiliar world for audiophiles.

Loudspeakers and room acoustics are a far more profitable avenue for finding improved sound quality.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Folks, thanks for the feedback and info. Gave me more to ponder and probably more questions lol.

smile.gif