Speaker placement in finished room! Pictures included! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey everyone. So we finished painting the room and I am trying to figure out how to best setup this room for speaker placement. This room is not even close to ideal for speaker placement so I wanted to run it by you all to get your thoughts. My wife and I tried to place the TV on the mantel above the fireplace for one night to see if we liked it, and within 15 minutes we both agreed it was a no go. Our necks were already starting to hurt and it just didn't look quite right. I liked the mantel for one reason: I could place a speaker on each side of the TV on the two bookshelves.

I have settled on placing the TV where it was intended to be (left of the fireplace). However, the issue comes that there is virtually no where to place a speaker left of the TV where it sits on its own. The stand is just not big enough. I can place a speaker to the right of the TV next to the TV where it's slightly visible, and then place a speaker on the other bookshelf (note the picture). But, I then have two speakers to the right of the TV.

My question is this: Is it bad to have the two speakers behind the sides of the TV? Or would you choose the option of having both of them to the right of the TV due to one of the speakers having more "breathing room"? I'm just not sure what to do with my limited options, so if you have some tips or thoughts, please throw em out! Thanks so much!

The room from a distance

Picture where both speakers are on the right side of the TV. One right next to the TV and one on the other bookshelf.

Picture where both speakers sit behind the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can you put the TV more to the left in front of window ? What's to the right of fireplace ?

post #3 of 14 Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

Can you put the TV more to the left in front of window ? What's to the right of fireplace ?

I suppose I could a little. I just don't want it to hit the drapes. I've included pictures to show what is to the right of the fireplace. There is another bookshelf.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

anyone have thoughts please?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I would try a long-wall setup in that room if it was me.

That is, put the TV at the midpoint along the wall on the left or right in the pictures with the main sofa just off the wall opposite. This way you can center the speakers in the room with plenty of space either side of them. It will also put your listening position of-centre in the room which will help give better bass response.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

I would try a long-wall setup in that room if it was me.

That is, put the TV at the midpoint along the wall on the left or right in the pictures with the main sofa just off the wall opposite. This way you can center the speakers in the room with plenty of space either side of them. It will also put your listening position of-centre in the room which will help give better bass response.

I've already brought up the idea of having the speakers on the side of the wall, but the wife shot that idea down in a hurry. "We can't have it there...the couches need to be facing the fireplace." So I think my options are pretty limited here. Would putting them behind the TV be my best option at this point? I have a bic f12 that will be at the side of a couch as well.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 16
You have two options. Keep the tv on the mantle, or change the arrangement to be facing the wall, not the fireplace.

Anything else will result in poor sound quality.

The best way to have your wife make the call, is to have her watch a movie this decent audio action, something she is familiar with, and have her decide, where the best sound is.

There are always compromises. But left and right, should always be left and right. The human brain can always tell when the sound does not match the picture. She will be able to tell, and should be able to find a compromise to fit all.

With all that said, I, personally would keep the TV centered on the mantle. My current set up, has our TV, about 5' up our wall, with a love seat recliners as the main listening position.

-_999_-
post #8 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Would putting them behind the TV be my best option at this point? I have a bic f12 that will be at the side of a couch as well.

No

This is the ol' fireplace connundrum. Fireplaces complicate display placement, speaker placement, etc.

Wherever the TV is, the speakers need to be aimed at the primary listener, a focal point midway in front of the display.

There's few good options, I'd examine the second pic, and extend the wood in some way to accomadate both speakers, .. one each side of the display. That, or don't use the fireplace, and mount the display down lower in front of the stone, .... which is what I'd likely do. Then place the speakers on each side in whatever fashion is optimal .. done.

Good luck

Fireplaces, oftentimes the bane of ideal set-up.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

No

This is the ol' fireplace connundrum. Fireplaces complicate display placement, speaker placement, etc.

Wherever the TV is, the speakers need to be aimed at the primary listener, a focal point midway in front of the display.

There's few good options, I'd examine the second pic, and extend the wood in some way to accomadate both speakers, .. one each side of the display. That, or don't use the fireplace, and mount the display down lower in front of the stone, .... which is what I'd likely do. Then place the speakers on each side in whatever fashion is optimal .. done.

Good luck

Fireplaces, oftentimes the bane of ideal set-up.

I really appreciate all the responses on this forum. In regards to setting the TV down lower, this really isn't possible. For one, the wood that the mantel sits on has stone in the fireplace carved out. I would have to break down more of the rock in order to move it further down, and this isn't something that my wife would go for (and it seems like a lot of work). Secondly, I did think about extending the wood where the TV sits, but I could only go towards the fireplace more as to the left is a window. My wife loooooves fireplaces and as I'm sure most husbands can attest to on this forum, they care far more about the atmosphere and presentation of the room than sound quality. Any other ideas/suggestions that come to mind?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Not many options big picture;

1.) Put the TV in the corner, and come up with some way to place the speakers to each side of the display (extending the wood, etc)

2.) Re-orient the room's focal point for audio, along one of the other two walls.

edit; #1 above could be expanded whereas the speakers could be above, but on each side, or below, but on each side. The speakers below the TV, on the surface the TV is on now, then the TV is placed on a new level of wood, directly above the speakers, .... just spit-ballin' here. Clearly, utilizing that wall for this is problematic, so I'd re-orient to the left side as one looks at the images.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Not many options big picture;

1.) Put the TV in the corner, and come up with some way to place the speakers to each side of the display (extending the wood, etc)

2.) Re-orient the room's focal point for audio, along one of the other two walls.

edit; #1 above could be expanded whereas the speakers could be above, but on each side, or below, but on each side. The speakers below the TV, on the surface the TV is on now, then the TV is placed on a new level of wood, directly above the speakers, .... just spit-ballin' here. Clearly, utilizing that wall for this is problematic, so I'd re-orient to the left side as one looks at the images.

You sparked an idea for me. What do you guys think of heading to mendards/home depot/lowes and constructing a rectangular block of wood that the TV and stand can sit on? It could increase the height of the TV/Base so that the lowest part of the TV sits right at the top of the bookshelf speaker. This way the speakers could have more room and there would be nothing blocking the speakers output. Does this seem reasonable to you?
post #12 of 14 Old 03-02-2013, 11:50 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You sparked an idea for me. What do you guys think of heading to mendards/home depot/lowes and constructing a rectangular block of wood that the TV and stand can sit on? It could increase the height of the TV/Base so that the lowest part of the TV sits right at the top of the bookshelf speaker. This way the speakers could have more room and there would be nothing blocking the speakers output. Does this seem reasonable to you?

eek.gifwink.gif

This is precisely what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is make it happen. And if you're going down that road, explore the best of both worlds (what I suggested in post #8 above), ... by retaining the current elevation of the TV, yet widening the wood base allowing ample space for the loudspeakers to appropriately flank the display.

Go for it, it'll be fine, and you'll have fun in the process.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I really appreciate all the responses on this forum. In regards to setting the TV down lower, this really isn't possible. For one, the wood that the mantel sits on has stone in the fireplace carved out. I would have to break down more of the rock in order to move it further down, and this isn't something that my wife would go for (and it seems like a lot of work). Secondly, I did think about extending the wood where the TV sits, but I could only go towards the fireplace more as to the left is a window. My wife loooooves fireplaces and as I'm sure most husbands can attest to on this forum, they care far more about the atmosphere and presentation of the room than sound quality. Any other ideas/suggestions that come to mind?

I like FOH's idea of not using the fireplace and placing the TV where your two paint cans are. You wouldn't have to "break down" more of the rock. That sounds crazy. This is really an audio mess, and there is nothing more to say about it. You either want a great A/V system that works properly, or you want the fireplace. I would go ahead and place the TV to the left, and invest in a high quality sound bar, placed directly under the TV for movie and TV watching. Perhaps you could start a second two channel system properly placed in the room for music listening.

Espo77
post #14 of 14 Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Get a projection TV and mount a screen so that it can be pulled down in front of and below the mantel.

Greg Lee
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page