Anyone using an Audyssey micropohone (2012 and newer) with REW? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
First off, I've searched for info about this question, but could not find a straight answer. It was like searching for a needle in a hay stack. A general google search threw up a couple of generic answers from years ago, when in all likelihood, the Audyssey mics might not have been that reliable. What about the current situation?

As the title says, is anyone using the mics that come with the latest generation of Audyssey receivers (Denon, Marantz, Onkyo) with REW v5? Has there been any conclusive determination that using these mics might be accurate enough or not? I also have a Lenovo T410 PC that has the single mic+headphone port that goes to an onboard soundcard. Will I need to buy an external sound card as well?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I guess it's better than nothing, but you may be limited by your sound hardware if that doesn't support full duplex (both making and recording sounds at the same time) operation.

I don't know if there's an available calibration file you can download for the mic.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

I guess it's better than nothing, but you may be limited by your sound hardware if that doesn't support full duplex (both making and recording sounds at the same time) operation.

I don't know if there's an available calibration file you can download for the mic.

I am a bit perplexed. In this day and age, are there soundcards (internal or external) that cannot play a sound while recording the output? Not sure of my internal soundcard's specs, but I doubt if it wouldn't be full-duplex. Laptops with a single port for the mic and headphone ports should be full-duplex, don't they? In all these years, I haven't come across a PC with a soundcard that cut out audio output or mic input if they occur simultaneously.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I am a bit perplexed. In this day and age, are there soundcards (internal or external) that cannot play a sound while recording the output? Not sure of my internal soundcard's specs, but I doubt if it wouldn't be full-duplex. Laptops with a single port for the mic and headphone ports should be full-duplex, don't they? In all these years, I haven't come across a PC with a soundcard that cut out audio output or mic input if they occur simultaneously.

Just putting it out there as a possibility. If it's remote so much the better.