Arduino Instrument - Speaker Connection Dilemma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a newbie when it comes to circuits and speakers, I'm struggling with a project I've set up for myself.

I'm trying to build a musical instrument out of an Arduino, and I need a speaker for the audio output. I ordered this one off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BWA2BQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I know it's cheap, audio quality isn't remotely a priority here. I needed something that was roughly the size and outside appearance that I was looking for.

When it arrived, I noticed it runs from two pairs of speaker cable connections, and I have absolutely no idea how to hook that up to an arduino board. As I said, I'm pretty new to this stuff, so I'm probably saying really dumb things. Regardless, here's how I was thinking of approaching it.

I know how to connect a 3.5mm mp3 jack to the arduino board, so I was going to connect a 3.5mm to stereo rca cable to that, with the rca ends cut off and the wires threaded into the speaker. Is there a better way? Am I missing something? Am I completely wrong? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Nathan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Klein View Post

. . . Am I missing something?
You may be missing something - an amp. I've used a couple of different Arduino boards (not by choice), but none of them had an audio amplifier. Can you post a link to the Arduino board you are trying to use? In lieu of an amp, you could get a powered speaker.

By the way, that speaker you linked to is designed for stereo in a single package - it is actually two sets of speakers, which explains the two sets of wires.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 72
You need an amp. I use a lot of Mega 2560 boards in projects.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Of course, I can't believe I didn't think of that. No, I'm sure the arduino uno doesn't have an amp on board, but getting an amp integrated into the build I'm making won't work too well- it has to fit in a specific, rather small space. A powered speaker would work perfectly, if it ran off batteries- but It needs to be roughly the same size and shape as the speaker above (though smaller is better). Do you know of anything like that? Hopefully not too expensive, either (again, there's no need for good quality. It'll be playing sine waves.)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page