sony issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a Sony Bravia 46" EX64 LED smart tv and a sony DAV-TZ140 dvd home theater system. I have connected them with the HDMI cable and the effect is wonderful. My tv has a single audio RCA jack for audio out and the theater system has 2 RCA jack audio in. there is no digital audio cable plug in for the theater system.

My question is can I play the TV sound through the theater system...for example. I can excess "youtube" and play a video, but the sound only comes from the tv itself. How can I connect the two of them so that when I play a "youtube" video from the tv it will come through my theater system?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
That is a very limited home theater system. It doesn't play Blu-ray discs, limiting you to SD video on your new HD set. And it had no digital audio inputs for external devices. You could buy a device that converts digital audio to analog stereo. But, they aren't cheap. I think you'd be better served getting an inexpensive system that plays Blu-rays and has digital audio inputs.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doerun6217 View Post

I recently bought a Sony Bravia 46" EX64 LED smart tv and a sony DAV-TZ140 dvd home theater system. I have connected them with the HDMI cable and the effect is wonderful. My tv has a single audio RCA jack for audio out and the theater system has 2 RCA jack audio in. there is no digital audio cable plug in for the theater system.

My question is can I play the TV sound through the theater system...for example. I can excess "youtube" and play a video, but the sound only comes from the tv itself. How can I connect the two of them so that when I play a "youtube" video from the tv it will come through my theater system?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Good afternoon doerun6217!

I would recommend first trying this link: to our YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-bXbOLxfGA. It will give you step by step instructions on How To Set Up A Home Theater System. After you try this and you are having any issues with the sound not coming through, please follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoulsQDeDKI. This video will give you troubleshooting steps that should help resolve the problem. Please let us know if you are still needing assistance after. Thanks! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA
post #4 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Amazing that Sony is watching for issues with its equipment and posting solutions. Unfortunately, that posting looks to be generic and is irrelevant to the OP's issue here. The TV lacks analog audio outputs and the receiver lacks digital audio inputs. The receiver also does not support Audio Return Channel over HDMI. So, there is no way to get audio from the TV to the receiver without buying more equipment to do the translations. At that point, you're better off getting a surround system with digital audio inputs... and one that does HD.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Amanda,

BIslander is right in their post. My home theater system is not ARC capable. There is also no Digital Audio input for the unit. It amazes me that Sony would manufacture some equipment that is not compatible with other Sony equipment. I've been a LONG time Sony fan, but to spend as much on this as I have, I expected it to be compatible. The quality is traditional Sony, but with this issue I'm disappointed. Looks like I'm either going to have to upgrade my home theater system or spend ANOTHER $100 for additional equipment just to make this combo work.

BI, thanks for the info. You were right on!
post #6 of 14 Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is why a little research goes a long way.wink.gif
post #7 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I guess if I didn't have anything better to do than play on the internet I could have researched it better MandM
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 09:17 PM

I don't mean to thread jack, but does the Sony Bravia 46" ex645 support audio return channel? I have that exact tv and am having trouble with it. Just let me know if it does or not, and I'll start my own thread if it's supposed to have that feature. Sorry again, I just thought I'd ask someone with the same TV. Thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

jjtjp, when you say audio return exactly what are you referring to?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Arc. Audio return channel. Where the TV sends audio data out its input HDMI. You referred to it in post 5 is why I asked.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

According to all that I've read of this tv, it does support ARC through the HDMI cable IF and only if the unit you have it hooked too is ARC capable. There is also a digital audio output that uses a fiber optic cable that can be used. In my case, my home theater system does not support either ARC or Digital Audio. I'm having to purchase a digital to analog stereo converter and hook my digital audio out from my tv to the converter and from there use RCA cable to go to the audio inputs of the theater system.

No apologies needed for the "thread jack".....its perfectly fine to jump in this one and post. If you can get the correct answers by using this thread that's all good with me. As long as your issues get resolved.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 PM

Thanks. My understanding was it supported it too. I just bought a receiver that supports arc thinking the TV did too. I'll start my own thread and see if someone can be of help. Good luck with your situation. How many watts does your amp need to push? I just got a good deal on a denon avr from a4l. Maybe it's time for a new receiver after all?

EDIT: I just realized that its a new ht setup.That is frustrating. Good luck with the converter then.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

ARC only works when it is supported by both devices. That is true of all TVs and sound processors. It it also true that HDMI CEC must be engaged on both devices for ARC to work.

jjtjp - The owners manuals for your equipment will say whether they support ARC and what must be done to make it work.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that input BIslander. I'm hoping that this converter will solve my issue. I'm thinking it will. I'm getting the one that supports Dolby as well. and thanks jjtjp. I hope BIslander answered your question as well. And best of luck with your issue. If there is anything else you need feel free to jump on this thread and ask any questions you have.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat