Where to Put a Subwoofer in this Room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this is a rough sketch obviously, but I've got a new house being built with the current 5 speakers as shown in the picture pre-wired to the media cabinet next to the fireplace. I stupidly forgot to pre-wire for a sub, and drywall just went up so it's too late for that. Where would you put a subwoofer in this situation? Would you go with a wireless sub?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If the house is being built you have a chance to avoid all the mistakes I see in your drawing. biggrin.gif

Seriously, first get that furniture out of the corners. You'll harm the acoustics much less if you put them along the side walls behind your seating. Then center the TV and speakers left-right in the room for proper symmetry. If this were my room I'd put the sub in one of the front corners. Is either wall an outside wall with insulation inside the wall? If so, that's probably the better corner to place the sub. I'd also avoid wireless speakers if possible. Just one more thing to go wrong.

More here:

How to set up a room

This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

If the house is being built you have a chance to avoid all the mistakes I see in your drawing. biggrin.gif

Seriously, first get that furniture out of the corners. You'll harm the acoustics much less if you put them along the side walls behind your seating. Then center the TV and speakers left-right in the room for proper symmetry. If this were my room I'd put the sub in one of the front corners. Is either wall an outside wall with insulation inside the wall? If so, that's probably the better corner to place the sub. I'd also avoid wireless speakers if possible. Just one more thing to go wrong.

More here:

How to set up a room

This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

I appreciate the help, but all of this is already constructed so I've got to work with what I've got. Both the left and tv wall are exterior walls... I'm thinking about drilling down through the floor and and into the media cabinet to avoid wires from the sub to the cabinet.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM

Liked: 11
What's the tall cabinet on the right being used for? If you're married to the current setup, your best (and easiest) placement for the sub is a bit in front of the tall cabinet. The cable won't be too conspicuous, especially if you can run it behind the cabinets into the back of the media cabinet.

I agree on avoiding wireless and would even move the R/L Fronts in out of the "corners" a bit. Depending on your sub, you'll also need a power outlet to plug it into. Good luck with whatever you decide. smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

That's actually what I just cleared with my wife a few days ago. I like that you verified my thinking. Thanks!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page