5.1 all in ceiling speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spent considerable time in the forums and at various websites (Dolby, THX, Crutchfield, etc.) gathering knowldege for an all in-ceiling 5.1 set up and before I cut holes in the ceiling I would like to get the community's opinion. All the speakers are the same, namely Polk TC60i. These speakers have 6.5" drivers so the sound should be somewhat diffuse compared to a larger speaker. Also, the TC60i's are angled by 15 degrees (entire speaker) so they don't point straight down. The tweeters are also aimable. The sub will likely be in a corner on the TV wall but is not shown in the diagram.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
One would prefer the L C R being directed to the MLP. Even with a 15 degree angle, that may be hard to obtain.

I have heard of inWall L C Rs, but inCeilings?!? I dunno...

I use inCeilings with my sides and backs in a 7.1, but have a traditional LCR set up.

What is your end goal? Good enough, or great?

-_999_-
post #3 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply to my OP. The goal is better than good enough, but given the physics of in ceiling speakers I have managed my expectations to somewhat less than great. The L C R will be aimed at the MLP via the aimable tweeter and by turning the whole speaker so that the driver (off set by 15 degrees from straight up/down) is also pointing towards the MLP.

Here is something I have not been able to figure out. The standard recommendation for normal standing speakers is to have all the speakers equidistant from the MLP, or in other words, on a circle. However, everything I have seen on the internet and the only article on in-ceiling speaker placement provided by Crutchfield (google "Crutchfield in ceiling placement") states that the L C R should be on a straight line. I would appreciate some insight into this. I can do either at this point (no holes in ceiling yet).

Thanks again.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan314 View Post

?..Here is something I have not been able to figure out. The standard recommendation for normal standing speakers is to have all the speakers equidistant from the MLP, or in other words, on a circle. However, everything I have seen on the internet and the only article on in-ceiling speaker placement provided by Crutchfield (google "Crutchfield in ceiling placement") states that the L C R should be on a straight line.

What will be driving the speakers? Most, if not all, modern AVRs have a setting for speaker distance. You could have your L 6', R 5', and C 4' away from the MLP, as long as the AVR can input the distance, it should(in theory), be able to deliver the sound at the same time.

-_999_-
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page