No sound from subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to connect an SVS PB-1000 to my Denon 1913 AVR using a (cut and paste) High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - [RG6/U 75ohm]. My front and center speakers are large and I have the AVR set to LFE+Main.

When I ran Auddesy, the sub made an amusing low register popping noise that I've come to hate from running Auddesy but when I'm playing music or a movie no sounds emits from it.

I honestly have no idea if i'm even using the right cable. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have neither that sub nor that receiver, so others will probably have better ideas.

Try a different RCA cable, maybe a white or red one meant for line audio. It should work even if its not the exact impedance you want.

When the sub is supposed to be sounding, rest your fingers against the sub's grill to detect vibrations that may be inaudible.

Play with the sub's volume knob -- maybe it needs to be turned up.

See if the receiver has a manual procedure for setting the volume or distance of the sub that sounds noises through the sub.

Check the sub is getting power -- does it have a power light?

Check that the receiver understands that you do have a sub. There should be a menu of some sort that displays what speakers you have connected. As you went through the calibration procedure, if the receiver couldn't hear your sub, it should have complained.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I think I may try a different RCA cable to see if that works.

The volume knob doesn't seem to change anything at the moment.

Nope, no rumbling from the sub at all.

hm. I didn't think to check the AVR to see if it has specific volume settings for the subwoofer. -- After checking it's at -4.5dB. I've no idea if that's too low or not although the sub isn't far from me right now as I'm trying to diagnose the problem.

The subwoofer's power light is on and the AVR recognizes it.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetolia4 View Post

... volume settings for the subwoofer. -- After checking it's at -4.5dB.
That suggests that everything is working. Maybe the music you're playing has less low bass than you're assuming. Maybe try some jazz with strong plucked bass rhythm?

Greg Lee
post #5 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

My front and center speakers are large and I have the AVR set to LFE+Main... ...when I'm playing music or a movie no sounds emits from it.

Music (as in CDs) doesn't have a .1 LEF channel. What format of movies did you try?

With speakers set to large, no bass management is taking place.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
On the back of the sub, how is the volume set? Also, how is the low pass filter set?

You are connected from the Denon into the "LFE" input of the sub, correct?

What make/model speakers do you have for right, left and center?

What is the crossover setting for the sub in the Denon?
post #7 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

On the back of the sub, how is the volume set? Also, how is the low pass filter set?

You are connected from the Denon into the "LFE" input of the sub, correct?

What make/model speakers do you have for right, left and center?

What is the crossover setting for the sub in the Denon?

The volume is set to 50% on the back of the sub. Low pass filter is set to 0.

It is connected into the LFE input on the sub yes.

The right and left channel speakers are polk audio's tsi400's and the center is a polk audio cs10

After playing with the settings based on what I saw online, I set the crossover settings for the front and center to 80 and the subwoofer to 120 (both on the subwoofer and the AVR) and now the sub plays with seemingly low volume on some movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Music (as in CDs) doesn't have a .1 LEF channel. What format of movies did you try?

With speakers set to large, no bass management is taking place.

I've tried a few bluray movies and an m4v movie. I don't think they have particularly low tones in them though.
--I set the speakers to small and there was no noticeable change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

That suggests that everything is working. Maybe the music you're playing has less low bass than you're assuming. Maybe try some jazz with strong plucked bass rhythm?

Hmm.. That is possible. I'll have to find some and get back to you on this one.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The volume is set to 50% on the back of the sub. Low pass filter is set to 0.

Try turning up the volume for the sub in the AVR.
There is no setting for "0" on the sub (except phase). There's only 50, 80, 120, 160 or LFE.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
In my experience, Audyssey sets the sub level too low. Based on scientific research, most people tend to prefer a higher bass response than Audyssey will give you. Try bumping up the sub level in the AVR's speaker level settings a few db (3-6db) to see if you prefer it.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Couple other questions:

How large is your room and where do you have the sub placed? You could be sitting in a null - does the bass sound stronger in other parts of the room?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Couple other questions:

How large is your room and where do you have the sub placed? You could be sitting in a null - does the bass sound stronger in other parts of the room?

It's the basement so it's a relatively large room. I have the basement roughly 77'' from me. I thought the shag-like carpet might dull it a bit but I hope it's not entirely killing it. I don't have anywhere else it can sit until Sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

In my experience, Audyssey sets the sub level too low. Based on scientific research, most people tend to prefer a higher bass response than Audyssey will give you. Try bumping up the sub level in the AVR's speaker level settings a few db (3-6db) to see if you prefer it.

So is it the more negative the db goes the louder or vise versa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Try turning up the volume for the sub in the AVR.
There is no setting for "0" on the sub (except phase). There's only 50, 80, 120, 160 or LFE.

Erm yes, the Phase is 0 and the low pass filter is set to LFE.
I tried playing with the volume on the AVR in dB but I didn't hear any difference.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Change the filter/crossover setting on the sub to 80Hz. Make sure the crossover for L/R/C in the AVR is set to 80Hz also.

Negative dB is lower volume, Positive dB is louder.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-08-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's the basement so it's a relatively large room. I have the basement roughly 77'' from me. I thought the shag-like carpet might dull it a bit but I hope it's not entirely killing it. I don't have anywhere else it can sit until Sat.
So is it the more negative the db goes the louder or vise versa?
Erm yes, the Phase is 0 and the low pass filter is set to LFE.
I tried playing with the volume on the AVR in dB but I didn't hear any difference.

"Fairly large" tells me nothing...we need measurements. smile.gif The performance of your sub is directly related to the the cubic footage of your room - the larger the space, the more sub you'll need to pressurize the entire room. The shag carpet will have little to no effect on subwoofer frequencies.

If you want you're sub to play louder than calibrated, you would set the level in the AVR to a higher number.

I think you may have mis-read my previous question - when I asked if the bass sounded stronger elsewhere in the room, I meant that when you move around the room are there any places that have nice, strong bass? Or, does the whole room sound as you are describing?

Have you done the SUB CRAWL?
Quote:
Change the filter/crossover setting on the sub to 80Hz. Make sure the crossover for L/R/C in the AVR is set to 80Hz also.

I respectfully disagree with this - you should either defeat the subs crossover or set it as high as it will go so the AVR can handle the crossover duties. If you set both to the same (or close to the same number) you will get some weird audio artifacts from the two crossovers fighting each other.

Just to be sure: you currently have all speakers set to "small", the crossover on the sub either defeated or maxed out, and the crossover for all speakers in the AVR set to 80hz, correct? If you do, and your still not getting any bass from the sub we'll have to try some other stuff. biggrin.gif
post #14 of 16 Old 03-08-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From what I can gather, the OP has no (or very little) sub output. Just trying to make suggestions to determine where the issue may be (not suggesting the "optimal" solution). It could be the sub's settings, the AVR's settings, a combination of both or perhaps........ a bad subwoofer.

It seems no matter the source material (music or movie), no matter the changes made and no matter how close he sits to the sub, the output volume is not changing.

IMO, that sub should be capable of producing noticable output even if the placement is not optimal at the current location.

Perhaps the OP can:
1) post his questions in a Denon thread for receiver settings
2) post his questions in a subwoofer forum
3) contact SVS and seek help from their technical support
post #15 of 16 Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 PM

I'm pretty sure you found a fix to this by now but for anyone else wondering. If you have your speakers set to large no sound will come out of the sub. Stupid flaw if you ask me specially if you have large speakers. But large speakers tend to have you high low and mid so the avr try's to push the base to those. I had to set all of my speakers to small even tho I have large floor speakers to get my sub to work.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk-rat View Post

I'm pretty sure you found a fix to this by now but for anyone else wondering. If you have your speakers set to large no sound will come out of the sub.
Nah... not accurate.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page