Video Processing Question from the Tech-Challenged - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry if this is elementary, which I'm sure it is. How do I know if either my AVR or BD player is processing my BD/DVD playback signals?

I have my HT setup the standard way - using HDMI - with the BD player and other components IN to the AVR and AVR OUT to projector. Does the AVR automatically detect and use the better video or do I need to change any settings? I used a basic self-setup on the AVR, but I was told the Oppo has the better processor for upscaling my DVD's.

AVR - Pioneer VSX-60
BD - Oppo BD-103
Projector - Panasonic AE-7000 (if this has any bearing)

Thanks much in advance for any help. smile.gif

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The user controls which device does video processing. Look at the settings for each device.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Question is better asked in the Oppo thread or AVR forum. This is for audio chat.

How do I know if either my AVR or BD player is processing my BD/DVD playback signals?
A: Whichever device outputs a higher video resolution than input is doing the scaling.

When Oppo is set to source resolution it is doing minimal/no processing (contrast, color etc) and no scaling. Read the Oppo FAQ.

If AVR has a video bypass option then hopefully it's not doing anything. If not then we don't know for sure. Read the AVR manual for details.

I was told the Oppo has the better processor for upscaling my DVD's.
A: Both the Oppo and Pioneer AVR use the Marvell Qdeo vp. That does not necessarily mean they perform exactly the same but the difference is likely to be very small or even invisible to the naked eye. You should try it both ways (player or AVR doing the upscaling) and see for yourself.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

When Oppo is set to source resolution it is doing minimal/no processing (contrast, color etc) and no scaling. Read the Oppo FAQ.

If AVR has a video bypass option then hopefully it's not doing anything. If not then we don't know for sure. Read the AVR manual for details.

I have the Oppo set to 1080P and I think the latter is the probable answer to my question. I'll try to set the AVR to video bypass and see if there's a discernible difference in DVD quality.

Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by richieprimo View Post

Sorry if this is elementary, which I'm sure it is. How do I know if either my AVR or BD player is processing my BD/DVD playback signals?

I have my HT setup the standard way - using HDMI - with the BD player and other components IN to the AVR and AVR OUT to projector. Does the AVR automatically detect and use the better video or do I need to change any settings?

In general yes. The HDMI protocol by default works out what it thinks are the best settings for the various components by means of auto-negotiation at power up time. Can you override the automatic settings via adjustments to individual devices? Maybe.

In general I just leave all the components as they are without any overrides. However there may be some reason to override the defaults and auto-negotiated settings. YMMV.

It is always my style to accept the defaults unless I know exactly why I am changing them.
Quote:
I used a basic self-setup on the AVR, but I was told the Oppo has the better processor for upscaling my DVD's.

IME the Oppo will by default propagate this throughout the video chain. My little Panasonic BD player does what I think is a stunning job of upscaling DVDs. It accomplishes this through the default settings.

In my system the AVR is out of the video loop to keep the system simple for my wife's use. This means that the TV and the BD player auto-negotiate their connection. The TV has very bad upscaling which I would have to go out of my way to use. I never do that! The TV is set to default to its highest resolution and that is auto negotiated with the BD player so their interconnection is at the highest resolution of the TV set. The BD player therefore does the upscaling of the DVDs I play on it. All is well without any manual adjustments or manual overrides.

HDMI autonegotiates the connection at the lower of the highest resolutions that each of the two devices are capable of. In my case and probably yours, the AVR's highest resolution is 2048 x 1080 and the TV's highest resolution is 2048 x 1080 so the lower of the two is is 2048 x 1080 and that is the autonegotiated resolution of their connection. In my case and probably yours, the AVR's highest resolution is 2048 x 1080 and the BD player's highest resolution is 2048 x 1080 so the lower of the two is is again 2048 x 1080. When you play the DVD, its highest resolution is 720 x 480 so the BD Player upscales the DVD to 2048 x 1024 before sending the video to the AVR. All is well without any manual adjustments or manual overrides.

I would not expect that you need to do any manual adjustments or manual overrides. The proof of the pudding is the viewing. How do DVD's look on your system? A really well-done DVD can look better than a mediocre BD disk. I see this happening from time to time.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Arnold - Sorry for the late reply, but I've been through a few health issues and haven't been to this site for a while. You're quite right, as some of my DVD's look better than certain BD titles. Some studio/production companies just do a better job with restoration and quality control.

Thanks again for your advice and be well.

Rich
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page