Low center Channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope I'm posting this in the right place, if not I apologize in advance.
Let me start by listing my setup:

Pioneer VSX-33 receiver
Klipsch RF-52 II for Left and Right placed about 6 - 7 ft apart
Klipsch RC-52 II for Center placed above the TV pointing downwards toward the listening position
Sonys for Surrounds placed about 3 feet back from the couch

My problem as the thread title states is that when watching many movies my center sounds dull, muddy, low, whatever you want to call it, while the effects are so loud it could bring the house down (IE. Empire Strikes Back). Oddly enough watching other movies (IE. Predator) the problem is not as noticeable. I have run the MCACC about a billion times, it doesn't seem to get better. The other problem I encounter is that if I turn the center channel up it tends to drown out the mains. At this point I don't know what else to do, its seriously starting to give me a headache and I hate to think I spent all of this money to have to fiddle with setting every time I watch a movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1helmethead View Post

Pioneer VSX-33 receiver
Klipsch RC-52 II for Center placed above the TV pointing downwards toward the listening position

My problem as the thread title states is that when watching many movies my center sounds dull, muddy, low, whatever you want to call it, while the effects are so loud it could bring the house down (IE. Empire Strikes Back). Oddly enough watching other movies (IE. Predator) the problem is not as noticeable. I have run the MCACC about a billion times, it doesn't seem to get better. The other problem I encounter is that if I turn the center channel up it tends to drown out the mains. At this point I don't know what else to do, its seriously starting to give me a headache and I hate to think I spent all of this money to have to fiddle with setting every time I watch a movie.

One word: subwoofer.

None of your existing speakers seem to have the bass dynamic range that I would want to have in a high quality audio system.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I forgot to mention I do have a subwoofer its a Veodyne VP-1000.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168

The first thing I would do to is to compare the basic sound of the center to the fronts during the MCACC EQ process. If you can easily tell when the center is being scanned I would try to re-position it until it matched the other speakers as much as possible. If your version of MCACC offers the All Channels Adjust try that along with the other two also under System Setup verify your center isn't set to Large and check the crossover level.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1helmethead View Post

Pioneer VSX-33 receiver

How does it sound with MCACC turned off? If you shut MCACC off, you'll want to manually calibrate. Do you own an SPL meter? Do you know how to do a "manual" calibration?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page