Technical differences - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys

I've just paid for a yamaha rx-v673. But I'm debating cancelling that order and getting the onkyo NR-818, which is quite a bit more money. In your humble opinions is it worth the upgrade? I've bought the Dali 5 5.1 surround set, and just want to get the best possible sound. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

#2 of 2
9 hours ago
mumflaps
Ill just to add to that note. I'm not fussed about any network capabilities. Video processing isn't a huge issue either as ill be either watching Blu rays or playing PC games through it. My main focus is getting the best sound possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumflaps View Post

Hi guys

I've just paid for a yamaha rx-v673. But I'm debating cancelling that order and getting the onkyo NR-818, which is quite a bit more money. In your humble opinions is it worth the upgrade? I've bought the Dali 5 5.1 surround set, and just want to get the best possible sound. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

#2 of 2
9 hours ago
mumflaps
Ill just to add to that note. I'm not fussed about any network capabilities. Video processing isn't a huge issue either as ill be either watching Blu rays or playing PC games through it. My main focus is getting the best sound possible.

My first thoughts are about YPAO versus Audyssey Multieq XT32.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2174 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumflaps View Post

Hi guys

Thanks in advance

#2 of 2
9 hours ago
mumflaps

The killer feature of the 818 is that it has Audyssey's top of the line consumer room EQ - MultEQ XT32, usually found only on manufacturers' expensive 'flagship' models. This is superior to the room EQ capabilities of the Yamaha unit. Both units have similar rated power. The Onkyo is also THXSelect2 Plus certified which also means that you get the THX DSPs if you are interested in that. The 818 also upscales to 4K should that become important to you in the future. 

While the 818 costs more, for me the XT32 alone would be worth the price. If you have never heard the difference in sound quality between an uncalibrated unit and an XT32 calibrated unit, you will be amazed. Yamaha's YPAO isn't in the same league at all.

As you say the most important thing to you is SQ (and you have a nice set of speakers), I personally wouldn’t consider the Yamaha over the 818.

EDIT: if you want to read more about XT32, check out this section of the Audyssey FAQ:

H. MultEQ: What Is It, How Does It Work?

post #4 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The killer feature of the 818 is that it has Audyssey's top of the line consumer room EQ - MultEQ XT32, usually found only on manufacturers' expensive 'flagship' models. This is superior to the room EQ capabilities of the Yamaha unit. Both units have similar rated power. The Onkyo is also THXSelect2 Plus certified which also means that you get the THX DSPs if you are interested in that. The 818 also upscales to 4K should that become important to you in the future. 

While the 818 costs more, for me the XT32 alone would be worth the price. If you have never heard the difference in sound quality between an uncalibrated unit and an XT32 calibrated unit, you will be amazed. Yamaha's YPAO isn't in the same league at all.

As you say the most important thing to you is SQ (and you have a nice set of speakers), I personally 
wouldn’t consider the Yamaha over the 818.

EDIT: if you want to read more about XT32, check out this section of the Audyssey FAQ:

H. MultEQ: What Is It, How Does It Work?

Thanks for your response. The only thing putting me off the onkyo is that it doesn't do 4K pass through. But if I get a 4k tv edventually ill most likely upgrade the amp. Or perhaps onkyo will release a firmware update.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page