Speaker set up help. Please advise. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I just upgraded my HTS and had a question on speaker size.

My new equipment consists of a Yamaha 373, Polk Tsi200 for R & L, Polk CS20 for center.

For my sub and surrounds I will using my old equipment which is a Polk RM670 Home Theatre in a Box until I budget them for an upgrade. The sub is connected and I will do the surrounds when I get components for cable management.

I did the auto set up and it set the tsi200's to Large and the center to Small.

I went back and forth between Large and Small on various movie scenes and songs to see if I could tell a discernible difference between the tsi200's or the sub doing the work.

I could not tell much though my ear is not very trained.

When I played a couple black keys songs the bass sounded to loud when set to Large. I had read on a couple other forums to set these to small however I wanted to get help based on my equipment.

I currently have them set to small despite having run the auto set up the Yamaha offers.

Also I am completely ignorant of crossover, etc... though for this post I a more interested in speaker size settings.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 518
All speakers should be configured as small.
It's important to set the crossover frequency to 80Hz or higher. Sometimes higher makes things sound better.

Setting the size to small really means "enable bass management". It's not an indication of the type of speakers you have. When bass management is enabled, low frequencies, the ones lower than the crossover frequency, are diverted from the speakers to the subwoofer. The subwoofer should be able to do a much better job of reproducing those low frequencies than the other speakers can.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The standard is to do as Seldon says: use 80Hz crossover for the receiver and tell the receiver that all speakers are "small". But it may be interesting to try other settings, too. If you do set your front speakers to "large", check your receiver subwoofer setting and put it on "plus" or "both" temporarily, if there is such a setting, so that bass will still be redirected to the sub, and re-run the receiver's calibration system. Also, though the subwoofer's crossover setting is normally set to the maximum, you might need to turn it down to avoid too much high bass (because ot the "both" setting, high bass will be coming from both the sub and the fronts).

Greg Lee
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 260
The TSi200 is rated to go down to 50 Hz.

Setting the crossover so that it only operates down to 80 Hz is kind of stupid IMO.

You will get much better sound quality if you set it so that the front speakers actually operate down to 50 Hz, and set the sub so that it operates only below 60 Hz.

This has been proven over and over in systems I have helped to set up.

Try it both ways and I think that the difference in sound quality will be obvious.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The TSi200 is rated to go down to 50 Hz.

Setting the crossover so that it only operates down to 80 Hz is kind of stupid IMO.

You will get much better sound quality if you set it so that the front speakers actually operate down to 50 Hz, and set the sub so that it operates only below 60 Hz.

This has been proven over and over in systems I have helped to set up.

Try it both ways and I think that the difference in sound quality will be obvious.

The usual optimistic model as applied to the 2 each 5 1/4 woofers in the TSI 200:

Freq,Hz Max SPL, DB

10 70
20 82
30 89
40 94
50 97
60 101
70 103
80 106
90 108
100 110
110 111
120 113
130 114
140 115

For a high end system, the recommended crossover would be 100 Hz, for a mid-fi system, more like 60 Hz. An 80 Hz crossover would be OK for most people.

A speaker that will only generate a clean 100 dB at 60 Hz is like a power amp that will only produce a clean 30 watts at 60 Hz. Yes, it has response down to 20 Hz, but if all it can do at 20 Hz is put out a few watts, what good is it?